• Scariest Story Contest

    Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

    JOIN CONTEST

bio chem

About the Ads

inder

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
72
0
    prady said:
    the ans is 10
    can anyone please help me answer this

    a slight detachment of retina results in decrease in length of optical centre and subject therefore exhibits

    - near sightedness
    -far sightedness
    -strabismus
    -nystagismus
    please explain!!! :confused:
     

    inder

    Member
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Mar 3, 2005
    72
    0
      :confused:
      ridge said:
      inder said:
      ans is hyepermyopia/nearsightedness
      thanks ridge
      if there is a explanation can u send it ,it will help me to understand.
      other question

      1.the enzyme RNA polymerase catalyzes the synthesis of specific RNA when provided with which as template

      - t RNA
      - rRNA
      -mRNA
      -double-stranded DNA

      2.each of the event can occur at synapsis except one.which is exception?
      - summation
      -ihibation
      -synaptic delay
      -repitative discharge
      -saltatory conduction
       

      fido!

      the ex-***!
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      May 12, 2004
      2,333
      1
      well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        the answer is myopia/near sightedness
        inder said:
        can anyone please help me answer this

        a slight detachment of retina results in decrease in length of optical centre and subject therefore exhibits

        - near sightedness
        -far sightedness
        -strabismus
        -nystagismus
        please explain!!! :confused:
         

        fido!

        the ex-***!
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        May 12, 2004
        2,333
        1
        well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          thanks ridge!when r u guys taking up ur exams?
          ridge said:
          inder said:
          :
          you can see previous posts,some guy has helped me with that question and he had mentioned a website about that answer also.
          for ur other questions,Prady has answered and i agree with those answers too.
           
          About the Ads

          fido!

          the ex-***!
          Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          May 12, 2004
          2,333
          1
          well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            SAME HERE,BUDDY!I ALSO FEEL,I'M UNPREPARED!BUT I HAVE TO TAKE UP MY EXAM AT ANY COST TO MEET THE APPLICATION DEADLINES!I HAVE EXACTLY 11 DAYS TO GO......!SO WISH ME LUCK! ;)
            TAKE CARE !ALL THE BEST TO U TOO!
            ridge said:
            prady said:
            Hi Prady,
            i am taking my exam in next 15 days and what about you?
            i am really worried abt the exam, i am not very well prepared for it.
             

            fido!

            the ex-***!
            Moderator Emeritus
            10+ Year Member
            7+ Year Member
            May 12, 2004
            2,333
            1
            well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              thanks pal!well,i'm thinking of applying to upenn,nyu&bu,to name afew!it also depends upon the score!
              take care!all the best to u too! :thumbup:
              ridge said:
              prady said:
              all the best
              tk care.which universities are you going to apply?i know we have less time for meeting deadlines of few universities.
              lets hope for the best.
               

              inder

              Member
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Mar 3, 2005
              72
              0
                prady said:
                thanks pal!well,i'm thinking of applying to upenn,nyu&bu,to name afew!it also depends upon the score!
                take care!all the best to u too! :thumbup:
                please can u help me with this
                1. in hypoxic skeletal muscle electrons carried by NADH are used to produce which substance
                -ethanol
                -citrate
                -lactate
                -pyruvate
                acetyl-coA
                2. bile salts promote digestion and absorption of fat by

                -converting all fatty acid to soap
                -neutrlizing acid from stomach
                -maintaining optimal ph for lipase activity
                -forming emulsion of fatty acid and glyceroid
                -stimulating secretion of pancreatic and intestinal juices :confused:
                 

                inder

                Member
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Mar 3, 2005
                72
                0
                  celestial said:
                  1 pyruvate
                  2 emulsification of fatty acids and glycerol

                  please correct me if i am wrong.....


                  even i thought the answer is
                  - lactate :rolleyes:

                  one more
                  1. facilitated diffusion differs from active transport in that net transport by facilitated diffusion

                  - has transport max
                  -uses ATP as energy source
                  -requires conc. gradient
                  -occurs as an endergonic process
                   

                  ridge

                  Senior Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Aug 28, 2005
                  135
                  0
                    inde 1. facilitated diffusion differs from active transport in that net transport by facilitated diffusion - has transport max -uses ATP as energy source -requires conc. gradient---------------[B said:
                    ANSWER[/B]-occurs as an endergonic process
                     
                    About the Ads

                    fido!

                    the ex-***!
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    May 12, 2004
                    2,333
                    1
                    well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      i think the answer is transport max.correct me if i'm wrong!
                      ridge said:
                      inde 1. facilitated diffusion differs from active transport in that net transport by facilitated diffusion - has transport max -uses ATP as energy source -requires conc. gradient---------------[B said:
                      ANSWER[/B]-occurs as an endergonic process
                       

                      fido!

                      the ex-***!
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      10+ Year Member
                      7+ Year Member
                      May 12, 2004
                      2,333
                      1
                      well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
                      1. Resident [Any Field]
                        dear inder,
                        can u plz tell where did u get the Q.2 from?is it from the past papers?do u have the answer for it?
                        inder said:
                        even i thought the answer is
                        - lactate :rolleyes:

                        one more
                        1. facilitated diffusion differs from active transport in that net transport by facilitated diffusion

                        - has transport max
                        -uses ATP as energy source
                        -requires conc. gradient
                        -occurs as an endergonic process
                         

                        fido!

                        the ex-***!
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        10+ Year Member
                        7+ Year Member
                        May 12, 2004
                        2,333
                        1
                        well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                          A FEW Q'S .....
                          1.COMPLEMENTARY DNA LIBRARIES INCLUDE
                          A.THE GENES WHICH R TRANSCRIBED INTO mRNA
                          B.SINGLE STRANTED DNA SYNTHESIZED BY REVERSE TRANSCRIPTION

                          2.THE FIRST HEART SOUND HEARDWHILE DETEMINING blood pressure IS DUE TO
                          1.CLOSURE OF AV VALVES
                          2.TURBULENT BLOOD FLOW THRO ARTERY
                           

                          fido!

                          the ex-***!
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          10+ Year Member
                          7+ Year Member
                          May 12, 2004
                          2,333
                          1
                          well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
                          1. Resident [Any Field]
                            anyone to answer these q.......??
                            prady said:
                            A FEW Q'S .....
                            1.COMPLEMENTARY DNA LIBRARIES INCLUDE
                            A.THE GENES WHICH R TRANSCRIBED INTO mRNA
                            B.SINGLE STRANTED DNA SYNTHESIZED BY REVERSE TRANSCRIPTION

                            2.THE FIRST HEART SOUND HEARDWHILE DETEMINING blood pressure IS DUE TO
                            1.CLOSURE OF AV VALVES
                            2.TURBULENT BLOOD FLOW THRO ARTERY
                             

                            celestial

                            Member
                            10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Feb 1, 2005
                            63
                            0
                              yes you are right facilitated diffusion requires a carrier for transportation ...

                              A FEW Q'S .....
                              1.COMPLEMENTARY DNA LIBRARIES INCLUDE
                              A.THE GENES WHICH R TRANSCRIBED INTO mRNA
                              B.SINGLE STRANTED DNA SYNTHESIZED BY REVERSE TRANSCRIPTION

                              2.THE FIRST HEART SOUND HEARDWHILE DETEMINING blood pressure IS DUE TO
                              1.CLOSURE OF AV VALVES
                              2.TURBULENT BLOOD FLOW THRO ARTERY

                              i think
                              1 a
                              2 a

                              please correct me if i am wrong....
                               
                              About the Ads

                              ridge

                              Senior Member
                              10+ Year Member
                              5+ Year Member
                              Aug 28, 2005
                              135
                              0
                                facilitated diffusion requires a carrier for transportation ... but where this carrier will function?it requires conc gradient and all the other choices in this question are in relation to active transport only.so ans is conc.gradient.



                                2.THE FIRST HEART SOUND HEARDWHILE DETEMINING blood pressure IS DUE TO
                                1.CLOSURE OF AV VALVES
                                2.TURBULENT BLOOD FLOW THRO ARTERY
                                ans is (2)
                                its while measuring B.P AND NOT WHILE AUSCULTATING CHEST WALL THAT WE CAN LISTEN TO HEART SOUNDS...THESE WERE KORTKOFF SOUNDS
                                .
                                HOPE EVERYTHING IS CLEARED TO PRADY AND CELESTIAL.
                                 

                                syk

                                Senior Member
                                10+ Year Member
                                7+ Year Member
                                Jul 24, 2005
                                110
                                0
                                  Hi,

                                  I think it is conc gradient since in the question they have asked how facilitated diffusion differs from active transport.active transport is against conc gradient.Other choices impies to both facilated diffusion and active transport as well.


                                  ridge said:
                                  facilitated diffusion requires a carrier for transportation ... but where this carrier will function?it requires conc gradient and all the other choices in this question are in relation to active transport only.so ans is conc.gradient.



                                  2.THE FIRST HEART SOUND HEARDWHILE DETEMINING blood pressure IS DUE TO
                                  1.CLOSURE OF AV VALVES
                                  2.TURBULENT BLOOD FLOW THRO ARTERY
                                  ans is (2)
                                  its while measuring B.P AND NOT WHILE AUSCULTATING CHEST WALL THAT WE CAN LISTEN TO HEART SOUNDS...THESE WERE KORTKOFF SOUNDS
                                  .
                                  HOPE EVERYTHING IS CLEARED TO PRADY AND CELESTIAL.
                                   

                                  fido!

                                  the ex-***!
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  7+ Year Member
                                  May 12, 2004
                                  2,333
                                  1
                                  well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
                                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                                    hi ridge,
                                    itz confusing!!!u tell the answer is (2),but while explaining u r telling while measuring b.p.,we listen to heart sounds!please clarify!



                                    2.THE FIRST HEART SOUND HEARDWHILE DETEMINING blood pressure IS DUE TO
                                    1.CLOSURE OF AV VALVES
                                    2.TURBULENT BLOOD FLOW THRO ARTERY
                                    ans is (2)
                                    its while measuring B.P AND NOT WHILE AUSCULTATING CHEST WALL THAT WE CAN LISTEN TO HEART SOUNDS...THESE WERE KORTKOFF SOUNDS[/B].
                                    HOPE EVERYTHING IS CLEARED TO PRADY AND CELESTIAL.[/QUOTE]
                                     

                                    smily

                                    Member
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    5+ Year Member
                                    Mar 24, 2005
                                    49
                                    0
                                      celestial said:
                                      yes you are right facilitated diffusion requires a carrier for transportation ...

                                      A FEW Q'S .....
                                      1.COMPLEMENTARY DNA LIBRARIES INCLUDE
                                      A.THE GENES WHICH R TRANSCRIBED INTO mRNA
                                      B.SINGLE STRANTED DNA SYNTHESIZED BY REVERSE TRANSCRIPTION

                                      2.THE FIRST HEART SOUND HEARDWHILE DETEMINING blood pressure IS DUE TO
                                      1.CLOSURE OF AV VALVES
                                      2.TURBULENT BLOOD FLOW THRO ARTERY

                                      i think
                                      1 a
                                      2 a

                                      please correct me if i am wrong....
                                      1. b
                                      2.a
                                       

                                      fido!

                                      the ex-***!
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      7+ Year Member
                                      May 12, 2004
                                      2,333
                                      1
                                      well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
                                      1. Resident [Any Field]
                                        thanks for the explanation!
                                        ridge said:
                                        facilitated diffusion requires a carrier for transportation ... but where this carrier will function?it requires conc gradient and all the other choices in this question are in relation to active transport only.so ans is conc.gradient.
                                         

                                        smily

                                        Member
                                        10+ Year Member
                                        5+ Year Member
                                        Mar 24, 2005
                                        49
                                        0
                                          ridge said:
                                          facilitated diffusion requires a carrier for transportation ... but where this carrier will function?it requires conc gradient and all the other choices in this question are in relation to active transport only.so ans is conc.gradient.



                                          2.THE FIRST HEART SOUND HEARDWHILE DETEMINING blood pressure IS DUE TO
                                          1.CLOSURE OF AV VALVES
                                          2.TURBULENT BLOOD FLOW THRO ARTERY
                                          ans is (2)
                                          its while measuring B.P AND NOT WHILE AUSCULTATING CHEST WALL THAT WE CAN LISTEN TO HEART SOUNDS...THESE WERE KORTKOFF SOUNDS
                                          .
                                          HOPE EVERYTHING IS CLEARED TO PRADY AND CELESTIAL.
                                          we are talking about heart sounds.Kortkoffs sounds are related to arteries
                                           

                                          celestial

                                          Member
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          5+ Year Member
                                          Feb 1, 2005
                                          63
                                          0
                                            hi ridge...
                                            its bit confusing but...
                                            i have some doubt ....
                                            1.COMPLEMENTARY DNA LIBRARIES INCLUDE
                                            A.THE GENES WHICH R TRANSCRIBED INTO mRNA
                                            B.SINGLE STRANTED DNA SYNTHESIZED BY REVERSE TRANSCRIPTION

                                            when c dna libraries are formed m rna is isolated from tissue expressing the gene and then m rna template is reverse transcribed into cDNA using reversetransciptase....then a double stranded c dna is formed......

                                            can you please help me with this......according to this answer should not be A
                                             

                                            ridge

                                            Senior Member
                                            10+ Year Member
                                            5+ Year Member
                                            Aug 28, 2005
                                            135
                                            0
                                              prady said:
                                              hi

                                              2.THE FIRST HEART SOUND HEARDWHILE DETEMINING blood pressure IS DUE TO
                                              2.TURBULENT BLOOD FLOW THRO ARTERY
                                              OK,SEE,QUESTION SAYS while determining B.P. when is FIRST HEART SOUND HEARD ,,it is only because of WHEN BLOOD FLOW THRU ARTERIES IS TURBULENT
                                              for heart sounds to be heard we dont have to measure b.p,we can simply heard heart sound while keeping stethoscope over the chest to listen 1st and 2nd heart sounds.why will we keep stethoscope on chest while determining blood pressure?????????????to hear first heart sound.???????
                                              i think i cant explain more than this..i feel the answer that way.Hope this helps.
                                               

                                              ridge

                                              Senior Member
                                              10+ Year Member
                                              5+ Year Member
                                              Aug 28, 2005
                                              135
                                              0
                                                hi celestial,
                                                first of all what is cdna?
                                                its complementary dna,which is single stranded dna formed from mRNA BY enzyme reverse transcriptase so our answer will be (B)
                                                1.COMPLEMENTARY DNA LIBRARIES INCLUDE

                                                B.SINGLE STRANDED DNA SYNTHESIZED BY REVERSE TRANSCRIPTION
                                                I WILL TRY TO ANSWER IT MORE DETAILED IF U R NOT SATISFIED.LET ME KNOW,I WILL WORK ON THIS QUESTION.
                                                 

                                                ridge

                                                Senior Member
                                                10+ Year Member
                                                5+ Year Member
                                                Aug 28, 2005
                                                135
                                                0
                                                  prady said:
                                                  ok...but ridge,if that is the case,then why u have marked 2,instead of 1?i'm still confused!

                                                  hI PRADY I THINK U HAVE AGAIN MISREAD THIS POST,I AM NOT WRITING ANSWER 1 ITS BEEN POSTED BY smily who is favoring option 1 ,i am in favor of coice 2.
                                                   

                                                  fido!

                                                  the ex-***!
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  10+ Year Member
                                                  7+ Year Member
                                                  May 12, 2004
                                                  2,333
                                                  1
                                                  well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
                                                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                                                    THANKS A ZILLION TIMES FOR THE EXPLAINATION! :) I OWE U ONE!SORRY FOR THE TROUBLE!
                                                    ridge said:
                                                    prady said:
                                                    hi

                                                    2.THE FIRST HEART SOUND HEARDWHILE DETEMINING blood pressure IS DUE TO
                                                    2.TURBULENT BLOOD FLOW THRO ARTERY
                                                    OK,SEE,QUESTION SAYS while determining B.P. when is FIRST HEART SOUND HEARD ,,it is only because of WHEN BLOOD FLOW THRU ARTERIES IS TURBULENT
                                                    for heart sounds to be heard we dont have to measure b.p,we can simply heard heart sound while keeping stethoscope over the chest to listen 1st and 2nd heart sounds.why will we keep stethoscope on chest while determining blood pressure?????????????to hear first heart sound.???????
                                                    i think i cant explain more than this..i feel the answer that way.Hope this helps.
                                                     

                                                    celestial

                                                    Member
                                                    10+ Year Member
                                                    5+ Year Member
                                                    Feb 1, 2005
                                                    63
                                                    0
                                                      thanks ridge for your patience ......i appreciate your efforts........
                                                      thanks once again.....for explanation..may be i was not reading the choice correctly......
                                                      its become a good thread to discuss questions....lets keep posting more questions......
                                                       

                                                      ridge

                                                      Senior Member
                                                      10+ Year Member
                                                      5+ Year Member
                                                      Aug 28, 2005
                                                      135
                                                      0
                                                        celestial said:
                                                        thanks to prady,celestial,smily,syvk.
                                                        here we come to know upto what level are we?
                                                        how detailed we should study to answer the questions confidently,but i am failing in it.
                                                        hope next time i will be much prepared. and answering with more expanations.
                                                        keep posting good questions,nothing crap.
                                                         
                                                        About the Ads
                                                        This thread is more than 15 years old.

                                                        Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                                        1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                        7. This thread is locked.