bio chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ridge said:
celestial said:
thanks to prady,celestial,smily,syvk.
here we come to know upto what level are we?
how detailed we should study to answer the questions confidently,but i am failing in it.
hope next time i will be much prepared. and answering with more expanations.
keep posting good questions,nothing crap.

ridge one more question
the process requiring a membrane and nonpenetratring solutes (e.g. protein) best describes which

1.osmosis
2.diffusion
3.epithelial transport
4.facilitated diffusion :rolleyes:

which substance is released by blood platelet and cause platelets to stick together
1.thrombin
2.fibrinogen
3.phospholipids
4.thromboxane A2
5.prostacycline 12 (Pgl2)

Members don't see this ad.

please answer :sleep:

which year exactly can u tell & whatz the answer given in the keys?thanx in adv.
inder said:
the question on facilated diff is from old papers this question has been repeated couple of times .

Members don't see this ad :)
inder said:
please answer :sleep:

2.thrombin

Several factors that cos platelets to clump at site of injury
a.collagen
b.ADP
c.thrombin

1.facilitated diffusion

pls correct me

1.simple diffusion
2.thromboxane a2-a platelet aggregrator!
inder said:
ridge said:
ridge one more question
the process requiring a membrane and nonpenetratring solutes (e.g. protein) best describes which

1.osmosis
2.diffusion
3.epithelial transport

which substance is released by blood platelet and cause platelets to stick together
1.thrombin
2.fibrinogen
3.phospholipids
4.thromboxane A2

prady said:
1.simple diffusion
I am wrong for thrombin
but y not facilitated diffusion.
Man !i am very badly prepared.

prady said:
which year exactly can u tell & whatz the answer given in the keys?thanx in adv.
these are in year2000
the answer was
1. thrombin
2. facilitated diff

prady said:
1.simple diffusion
2.thromboxane a2-a platelet aggregrator!i will go with prady ur answers

[QUOTE=
1.thrombin
2.fibrinogen
3.phospholipids
4.thromboxane A2
ANS 4) thromboxaneA2

inder said:
ridge said:
ridge one more question

1.osmosis
2.diffusion
3.epithelial transport
4.facilitated diffusion
ANS IS OSMOSIS

hi ridge,
why osmosis?
the q states a membrane,not a selectively permeable membrane!and moreover,in osmosis,the fluid moves from a low conc region to high conc region ,not the solute particles!correct me if i'm wrong!

no inder,i was not asking about the 2000 yr q,
the previous q regarding facilitated diffusion having a conc.grad/transport max.!thatz the one i was talking about!
inder said:
these are in year2000
the answer was
1. thrombin
2. facilitated diff

no dent02,u may be right!it is facilitated diffusion,as the q mentioned about non-penetrating solute!i simply overlooked that part!
dent02 said:
prady said:
1.simple diffusion

I am wrong for thrombin
but y not facilitated diffusion.
Man !i am very badly prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
prady said:
hi ridge,
the answer is osmosis only.
osmosis is possible in case of selective permeable membrane only, and only water is allowed to pass thru it.
our second part of question is nonpenetrating solute that is protein,so it can not pass thru selective membrane .
question itself gives clue.
now diffusion and osmosis have in common .osmosisthat move from lowto high conc .and diffusion of protein can be possible by some carrier also,as it is only dependent on gradient and there is no selectivity in memebrane in case of difusion.
hope it helps.

inder said:
ridge said:
ridge one more question

1.osmosis
2.diffusion
3.epithelial transport

1.thrombin
2.fibrinogen
3.phospholipids
4.thromboxane A2
Answers--4&4

nice try!but not convincing enough!i shall go with facilated diffusion!
ridge said:
prady said:
hi ridge,
the answer is osmosis only.
osmosis is possible in case of selective permeable membrane only, and only water is allowed to pass thru it.
our second part of question is nonpenetrating solute that is protein,so it can not pass thru selective membrane .
question itself gives clue.
now diffusion and osmosis have in common that they move from high to low conc .and diffusion of protein can be possible by some carrier also,as it is only dependent on gradient and there is no selectivity in memebrane in case of difusion.
hope it helps.

prady said:
ok i will also go with facilitated diffusion.thanks to smily.

Hey,

Even I thought the ans is Osmosis.The answer marked could be wrong since they are not released by the board.

A patient bites down rapidly on a unexpected hard surface while chewing.This results in a motor unit recruitment in jaw closing muscles by stimulation of

1..Muscle spindles

2.jaw opening muscles.
3.Periodontal mechanoreceptors.
4.nociceptors in dental pulp.
Can anybody explain please.

muscle spindles/perio mechanoreceptors.....not sure!
syk said:
A patient bites down rapidly on a unexpected hard surface while chewing.This results in a motor unit recruitment in jaw closing muscles by stimulation of

1..Muscle spindles

2.jaw opening muscles.
3.Periodontal mechanoreceptors.
4.nociceptors in dental pulp.
Can anybody explain please.

Thanks Prady.

prady said:
1.rna polymerase makes any type of rna from dna,thus the answer is ds dna!

template is a strand of dna or rna is rna mrna so my ans is mrna becouse they were asking about rna is this cool?

inder said:
:confused:
ridge said:
thanks ridge
if there is a explanation can u send it ,it will help me to understand.
other question

1.the enzyme RNA polymerase catalyzes the synthesis of specific RNA when provided with which as template

- t RNA
- rRNA
-mRNA
-double-stranded DNA

Prady is right!!!!!!
RNA polimerase synthesises RNA and it is dependent of DNA, doble strand DNA

hi guys,

i see some guys are worried about deadlines and exam that is coming up. i am totally in the same page. I am not confident yet and i am going to cancel my paper based and buy 10 - 15 days more time and take a cbt. hope i get centres........i will drive 200 miles if i have to to get a date i prefer. do you think it is a wise move? either way. the results come in same time;infact i will get it 10 days earlier in cbt, which takes only 2 weeks.

suggestions welcome.

prady said:
i think the answer is transport max.correct me if i'm wrong!

take up the exam...!what will happen if u dont do well.....u can take it up again right! :thumbup:
zone32 said:
hi guys,

i see some guys are worried about deadlines and exam that is coming up. i am totally in the same page. I am not confident yet and i am going to cancel my paper based and buy 10 - 15 days more time and take a cbt. hope i get centres........i will drive 200 miles if i have to to get a date i prefer. do you think it is a wise move? either way. the results come in same time;infact i will get it 10 days earlier in cbt, which takes only 2 weeks.

suggestions welcome.

prady said:
i think the answer is transport max.correct me if i'm wrong!

Hi Prady & syk
Just wanted to ask how did u calculate the answer for this one? I know wat syk answered above but in the decks isn't it written that the sum of purines is equal to the sum of the pyrimidines. So if we calculate G on the same strand shudn't the answer be 50 ? Plz explain i m confused.

ridge said:
HI
nEED HELP
ONE STRAND OF DNA has 20%A,30%T40%C.WHAT is the %of C on other strand?
explain please

1) Methyl xanthines such as caffeine & theophylline enhance lipolysis in adipose tissue by
- inducing adenylate cyclase synthesis
- inducing triglyceride lipase synthesis
- inhibiting cAMP phosphodiesterase activity
- directly activating an intracellular protein kinase
- enhancing the binding of epinephrine to an extracellular membrane receptor

2)Polypeptide hormones generally exert their effect by binding to which of the following?

- intracellular receptors & stimulating protein synthesis
- receptors on cell membrane & stimulating protein synthesis
- intracellular receptors & altering the specific activity of certain enzymes
- receptors on cell membrane & altering the specific activity of certain enzymes.

3) Each of the foll. can be increased by polypeptide hormones except one. Which one is the exception?

- inositol triphosphate conc.
- intracellular calcium conc.
- intracellular potassium conc.
- adenylate cyclase activity
- protein kinase C activity

4) What is the net charge on glutamic acid at a ph of 1?

- +2
- +1

Thanx for helping out. Will highly appreciate if answer is followed with some sort of explanation. Thanx again.

syk said:
I think its 10%.
Adding up % of A,T,C IS 90%.Remaining should be G on the same strand which gives the % of C on the other strand.
Correct me if am wrong.
It is 10%
A+T=G+C
From this G comes out to be 10%, G will bond with C in other strand,so % of C in other strand is10%

decjunia said:
Hi Prady & syk
EVen I am confused now.I read that A+G=T+C as you said.Anybody plz clarify.

ridge said:
HI
nEED HELP
ONE STRAND OF DNA has 20%A,30%T40%C.WHAT is the %of C on other strand?
explain please

Ridge,I am in doubt now.As given in decks,A+G=T+C.if we follow this then the ans can be 50.Anybody plz suggest.Sorry for the confusion.I checked few threads and the ans given is 10%.Am confused?

ridge said:
syk said:
hi
Yeah,But what I am confused is abt the EQUATION itself.In the decks I read amt of purine is equal to the amt of pyramidine which is given as A+G=T+C(CHECK THE EQUATION).which is not A+T=G+C.
Thanks,

[QUOTE=syk hi
thank you syk for clearing this doubt and i think all this misconception originated in very first few threads and all of us followed the wrong formula to solve this equation.
u r absolutely right that A=T AND G=C AND SO A+G=T+C SO OUR ANSWER IS 50 NOW.
THIS WAS CHARGAFF'S RULE AND THIS TIME I HAVE CHECKED WITH LEHNINGER BOOK.
SO I AM SURE WE HAVE REACHEDTO THE RIGHT ANSWER.
I HAVE DELETED MY EARLIER thread so that no one else can be misguided anymore.

I guess we must thank Decjunia becoz even I followed blindly and had not checked the answer.Sorry for the confusion.Thanks Decjunia.

decjunia said:
Thanks to decjunia .
ur answers:
]3) Each of the foll. can be increased by polypeptide hormones except one. Which one is the exception?[/COLOR][/B]
- intracellular potassium conc. not sure

[

inder said:
ridge said:
ridge one more question

1.osmosis
2.diffusion
3.epithelial transport

1.thrombin
2.fibrinogen
3.phospholipids
4.thromboxane A2

1.osmosis
2.thromboxane A2 -causes clumping
prostacycline 12 (Pgl2) -prevents clumping.
Thrombin is not released by platelets.

Thanx Ridge & syk for confirming the answer. Plz help me out in other questions as well.
Thanx in advance