BIO HELP (neurons)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although it has long been thought that adult humans are unable to produce new neurons, recent evidence shows that a very small number of new neurons can be produced by______ cells, a type of glial cell.

Anyone know the answer to the blank above>? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

oligodendrocyte

EDIT: Well technically not the mature oligos, only the immature ones. No adult glial cell has been observed to undergo mitosis, I don't think.

Are you sure? i thought that schwann cells could, but oligodendrocytes are only in the CNS and they are unable to repair...maybe im wrong. However from what I remember shwann cells in the PNS can initiate nueron repair.

Members don't see this ad :)
oligodendrocyte

EDIT: Well technically not the mature oligos, only the immature ones. No adult glial cell has been observed to undergo mitosis, I don't think.

that is incorrect. the poster above me has it right. its schwan cells and neurons in the PNS. its likely due to the presence of a neurolemma in schwann cells, which oligodencrocytes do not have.

that is incorrect. the poster above me has it right. its schwan cells and neurons in the PNS. its likely due to the presence of a neurolemma in schwann cells, which oligodencrocytes do not have.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17697047
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16111552

Not sure if this is right, but I always thought neurolemma is for the regen of damaged neurons not for the creation of new ones.
Yeah that's what I thought too...There is a new class of cells "Neural Stem Cells" (NSCs) which have the same precursor as oligodendrocytes That's why I thought the oligodendrocyte was probably right...

I think the glial cells you're looking for are astrocytes (in the subventricular and the subgranular zones of the olfactory bulbs and hippocampus, respectively).

I think the glial cells you're looking for are astrocytes (in the subventricular and the subgranular zones of the olfactory bulbs and hippocampus, respectively).

Okay cool. Good to know. Have any references? I have unsuccesfully tried to find the paper that outlines which glial cell it was, and now I'm interested. :(