tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Wow... does the DAT really test you on that crap?! I'm sure it'll help you next time you need to put a bridge on a venus fly trap. I feel sorry for you guys... that's ridiculous.

phospho

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Columbus, OH
Status
Medical Student
Wow... does the DAT really test you on that crap?! I'm sure it'll help you next time you need to put a bridge on a venus fly trap. I feel sorry for you guys... that's ridiculous.
lol, was thinking the same thing... but you gotta admit that the MCAT is either the same or worse. Almost done with M1, and still haven't found one useful thing for that f=ma equation, or the crap load of other random stuff we had to know for physics...

A particular radioisotope decays in the following order: alpha, beta, beta, alpha, gamma, beta, beta, alpha, gamma. How many neutrons have been emitted during the series of decays?

After a 70 kg premed student read that above question, he decided to jump off a building. How many seconds does it take for that particular premed to crash to the ground if he jumps off a 5 story building? Assume that each story is 9 feet, and gravity is 9.8m/s^2

the dude's girlfriend jumps after her premed boyfriend (she didn't want to live without him) 12.5 seconds after he jumps. She is 100 kg. Who will crash to the ground first?

physics still gives me the Heebie-jeebies :scared:

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
LOL. I totally see where you're coming from, but I can see "some" practical use to what we learned in terms of furthering our understanding of what we see in MS1.

I'll explain below. lol
lol, was thinking the same thing... but you gotta admit that the MCAT is either the same or worse. Almost done with M1, and still haven't found one useful thing for that f=ma equation, or the crap load of other random stuff we had to know for physics...
F=MA can be conceptually applied to contractility of the heart and increased afterload, for example. (As can other things, like pressure; and, of course mass and volume are intimately linked for fluids, so I'll omit volume).

A particular radioisotope decays in the following order: alpha, beta, beta, alpha, gamma, beta, beta, alpha, gamma. How many neutrons have been emitted during the series of decays?
Ha, ha... conceptulally useful only when wanting to understand the "danger" of using certain radio-imaging techniques or treatments.

After a 70 kg premed student read that above question, he decided to jump off a building. How many seconds does it take for that particular premed to crash to the ground if he jumps off a 5 story building? Assume that each story is 9 feet, and gravity is 9.8m/s^2

the dude's girlfriend jumps after her premed boyfriend (she didn't want to live without him) 12.5 seconds after he jumps. She is 100 kg. Who will crash to the ground first?

physics still gives me the Heebie-jeebies :scared:
Well, imagine an HIV positive patient with a 140/90 mmHg blood pressure gets a pin to the coratid, where the blood pressure has adjusted by 10 mmHg and creates a clean puncture wound with a radius 0.3mm^2. Did the blood pressure increase or decrease between the ascending aorta and the coratid? How far away must the squeamish pre-med stand if they don't want to get nailed by the stream (assuming the puncture is 90 degrees to the ground) during systole, and then diastole?

Yeah, so I'm grasping straws there ^_^ haha

Avery07

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
So the DAT forum is where med students come to kill their time huh??

Lol.. j/k

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
So the DAT forum is where med students come to kill their time huh??

Lol.. j/k
No, in case you didn't notice Obama recently passed the "Big Phuckin' Deal", so we're here considering a career change :p JK JK JK

Jun 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
QFT. 1.5yrs in med school and I never thought gee, that thing I learned about EM was useful.

Fat girls need love too =/

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
No, in case you didn't notice Obama recently passed the "Big Phuckin' Deal", so we're here considering a career change :p JK JK JK
lmao welcome to the dental world.... we work with teeth... people refer to us as "doctors" but come on lets face it, we are not real doctors

Back to OP's main question:

Energy = ATP production, right away you should think photosynthesis. Where are the major pigments of photosynthesis placed? thylakoid membrain

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist

wait a minute... I KNOW THIS ONE!!!!
the boy will land first, they both will accelerate to the ground at the same rate cause thier weight has nothing to do with how fast they accelerate toward the earth..... omg WHY AM I TRYING TO DO THIS...

Avery07

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
wait a minute... I KNOW THIS ONE!!!!
the boy will land first, they both will accelerate to the ground at the same rate cause thier weight has nothing to do with how fast they accelerate toward the earth..... omg WHY AM I TRYING TO DO THIS...
But what if she was a reallllllllllllly big girl?

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
But what if she was a reallllllllllllly big girl?
Then the earth would come to her faster than she would come to the earth. ^_^

Jun 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Then the earth would come to her faster than she would come to the earth. ^_^
Having established that he will hit the ground first, how much kinetic energy does his girlfriend have at the moment she lands on him? Assuming complete inelastic collision, how screwed is he if he were to have survived the initial fall?