You have very similar interests to me! I was originally applying MD/PhD hoping to do some sort of engineering focused on space medicine. I applied to the Harvard/MIT program, and Texas A&M. Dartmouth has a space medicine lab, but it is very small. I worked as a research assistant there. I did not apply to UC boulder because they were very resistant to my interests in pursuing bioastronautics with medicine. However, they have a new professor there in bioastronautics who may be able to help you bridge the programs. I ended up choosing between Texas A&M and UTMB. Ultimately, I chose UTMB because that is where they have the aerospace medicine residency, as well as a concentration for med students. I am currently doing my first research rotation at NASA and loving it! This is truly the heart of aerospace medicine! Feel free to inbox me and we can talk!
I know this is three years old, but better late than never! I am a highschool student and I am interested in becoming a doctor and specializing in space medicine or emergency medicine. I also wanted to do a MD/PHD in bio astronautics, but I discovered that you can do a residency in aerospace medicine. I have a few questions about undergraduate majors and minors and about the UTMB medical school aerospace medicine concentration.
1. How hard is it to get into the UTMB medical school aerospace engineering concentration?
2. Is it harder to get into the medical school if you apply out of state?
3. Do you still do all of the other classes and clinical rotations that normal medical students do?
4. I am also interested in radiology preventive, emergency, internal medicine. Does this medical school have strong programs and/or a rotation in these specialties?
5. I am interested in going to Purdue to major in aerospace engineering and doing pre med, is that a good idea? I also am interested in biomedical engineering. Should I double major or do something more general like mechanical engineering and choose my electives in aerospace and biomedical engineering? Is there any other college you recommend me going to based on my career interests?
6. During college I want to get a lot of shadowing experience and research in space medicine. Is there are college you would recommend me going to that has a strong engineering program, strong research opportunities, and a strong ore med program?
7. What did you get a bachelor's in college?
8. What school do you go to for your undergraduate degree?