Bioavailability of drinking IV zofran?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted899865

Waking up at odd hours on call makes me nauseous sometimes. I don't want a Zofran dart - feel like that's sketchy. But would drinking it still provide the same effect? We don't have access to oral zofran, just IV.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We’re doctors. I know of scenarios where hospitals have considered use of hospital medical supplies as theft.

In training, I know of a CRNA and a circulating RN who were fired on the spot for such stuff.

It was ludicrous but man was it a wake up call.

Also, don’t prescribe yourself scripts. That’s asking for trouble in this day and age - just ask a colleague.

Reactions: 1 user
In training, I know of a CRNA and a circulating RN who were fired on the spot for such stuff.

Also, don’t prescribe yourself scripts. That’s asking for trouble in this day and age - just ask a colleague.
For non-controlled stuff as long as it's not an everyday event, no one cares.

Unless you're in a state with a just god-awful Medical Board, you'll be fine writing yourself some zofran from time to time

Reactions: 1 users
You should order yourself a urine HCG before taking an antiemetic for your acute nausea of awakening.

PO ondansetron is a thing. It comes in 4 and 8 mg tablets. It must have sufficient oral bioavailability for those doses to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you go to my residency? Lol.
Someone got into serious trouble for this.
How does this happen. Does someone keep track of the zofran? I get back pain every now and again. My hospital pharmacy always gives me Motrin and flexerill. No questions asked.

How does this happen. Does someone keep track of the zofran? I get back pain every now and again. My hospital pharmacy always gives me Motrin and flexerill. No questions asked.

Well, I know of a people getting suspended/terminated over zofran, IM toradol, and getting an IV for a bag of IVF in a couple different hospital systems. Usually a nurse witness then writeup or complaint.

Reactions: 1 users

I think someone saw it and told. A resident gave a nurse or tech a shot of toradol or something and it was reported. Nurse/tech got fired and resident was placed on probation for theft or some BS.

It’s not something I worry about in PP as an independent contractor but I also have not come across that situation.

In residency they can crucify you for damn near anything. It’s a power thing for a lot the academics in charge.

FFS nothing good can ever come out of taking drugs out of the cart and using them. At the very best there's an appearance of impropriety, and you open yourself up to jerks or even innocently mistaken people just asking questions to the wrong people about you. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Spend $6 and keep a bottle of ibuprofen in your desk or locker. If you want something else get a prescription and fill it.

Reactions: 3 users
i think it is a better idea to write for zofran yourself than "steal" it from the hospital - it is theft. i know several people who got in trouble for zofran or toradol in this manner. that said, yes drinking zofran works

For what? A shot of zofran or toradol for headache will get you fired?

Yup. It can.
Know your climate.

Know two fired on the spot for such stuff. Totally innocuous/innocent, but gone by the end of the day.

On the more ridiculous side, there was a resident (non-Anes) prescribing himself Vicodin and Ativan on the regular that was fired a couple years back. Somehow took 6+ months before he/she was found out/fired. I think we can all (hopefully?) agree that’s pushing it.

Well, I know of a people getting suspended/terminated over zofran, IM toradol, and getting an IV for a bag of IVF in a couple different hospital systems. Usually a nurse witness then writeup or complaint.

I would highly doubt an MD would have the time or energy to care. I don't think any of the doctors at my place even know how to file a complaint, yet the nurses seem to learn that day one!

Reactions: 6 users
I would highly doubt an MD would have the time or energy to care. I don't think any of the doctors at my place even know how to file a complaint, yet the nurses seem to learn that day one!

I’m a couple weeks from being done with fellowship and I had to learn how to file a safety report for the first time this week, lol. An RT tried to actively kill my patient who I was rather fond of....so I had to learn. But it was my first in 5 years, lol.

I’m a couple weeks from being done with fellowship and I had to learn how to file a safety report for the first time this week, lol. An RT tried to actively kill my patient who I was rather fond of....so I had to learn. But it was my first in 5 years, lol.

In my internship, had a nurse actively try to kill an annoying paitent. I think she just snapped or something, and gave the patient all the PRN narcs on file at once. I happened to walk by the room and notice the patient was breathing at about 6 per minute hah. No calls or anything to our team. Definitely learned how to file a complaint that day. And the nurses were always wondering why I bugged them so much being OCD and checking on all the patients vitals...

Know two fired on the spot for such stuff. Totally innocuous/innocent, but gone by the end of the day.

On the more ridiculous side, there was a resident (non-Anes) prescribing himself Vicodin and Ativan on the regular that was fired a couple years back. Somehow took 6+ months before he/she was found out/fired. I think we can all (hopefully?) agree that’s pushing it.
That’s not just grounds for firing but also ramifications with the DEA and state medical board once it’s discovered. Not to mention bad for your health.

In my internship, had a nurse actively try to kill an annoying paitent. I think she just snapped or something, and gave the patient all the PRN narcs on file at once. I happened to walk by the room and notice the patient was breathing at about 6 per minute hah. No calls or anything to our team. Definitely learned how to file a complaint that day. And the nurses were always wondering why I bugged them so much being OCD and checking on all the patients vitals...

We got called once by a (hopefully new) nurse concerned that a patient was obtunded after she systematically went down the list giving his PRN CIWA Ativan... best part was she knew enough to document CIWA score 0 earlier that morning.

They must have been super annoying