BIOCHEM before DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winnie bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

Based on talking to others who have taken DAT, many say that BIOL section is very broad and 1 Year of general BIOL isn't enough to ace BIOL section.

Since BIOCHEM isn't required to submit the initial application (just so as long as it's completed at some point after), some pre-dents take it after they apply.

With that said, for those of you who have taken DAT and BIOCHEM courses, would you say BIOCHEM helped? Your elaboration would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I didn't find that biochemistry helped me out all that much on the DAT.

The most I had ever encountered biochem related was amino acid nomenclature, basic translation, and basic transcription. Honestly, I think a class like cell biology is much more beneficial for preparation for the DAT as it covers a lot these topics, and how they integrate into the function of the cell as a whole.

Just my opinion...

I'm sure a biochem class wouldn't hurt you on the DAT, but I don't think that it is essential to master the sciences. A sufficient amount of pertinent biochem can be learned from the Kaplan test prep book.

Reactions: 1 user
well... biochemistry goes into SOOOO MUCH science that none of it is really involved with the DAT.

For the DAT, you just need to underestand the basics of protein structures (primary, secondary, tertiary, & quaternary structure) what kinda bonds hold them together (Example primary is peptide/covalent bonds / secondary is all H-bonding / Tert and Quart are a combination of sulfide H-bonding and weak interactions)

And you need to underestand (NOT MEMORIZE) glycolysis, pyruvate entering matrix of mitochondria and then starting krebs cycle, and ETC. WHERE these steps happen (Glycolysis = cytosol, pyruvate being decarboxylated to Coa molecule and krebs cycle both happen in matrix of mitochondria, finally ETC happens in the INNER membrane of mitochondria)

And finally you need to underestand some plan biosynthesis (same level as what I explained above for glycolysis)

So I basically summarized for you what is needed for the DAT's biochemistry, and if you take biochem course, its going to cover these steps in ALOT ALOT ALOT more detail (you have to like memorize ever little molecule involed, what enzyme is used, how to reverse the enzyme, and how to sometimes inhibit it for regulation)

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I didn't find that biochemistry helped me out all that much on the DAT.

The most I had ever encountered biochem related was amino acid nomenclature, basic translation, and basic transcription. Honestly, I think a class like cell biology is much more beneficial for preparation for the DAT as it covers a lot these topics, and how they integrate into the function of the cell as a whole.

Just my opinion...

I'm sure a biochem class wouldn't hurt you on the DAT, but I don't think that it is essential to master the sciences. A sufficient amount of pertinent biochem can be learned from the Kaplan test prep book.

That's fantastic! I wasn't sure how relevant it was to DAT. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
well... biochemistry goes into SOOOO MUCH science that none of it is really involved with the DAT.

For the DAT, you just need to underestand the basics of protein structures (primary, secondary, tertiary, & quaternary structure) what kinda bonds hold them together (Example primary is peptide/covalent bonds / secondary is all H-bonding / Tert and Quart are a combination of sulfide H-bonding and weak interactions)

And you need to underestand (NOT MEMORIZE) glycolysis, pyruvate entering matrix of mitochondria and then starting krebs cycle, and ETC. WHERE these steps happen (Glycolysis = cytosol, pyruvate being decarboxylated to Coa molecule and krebs cycle both happen in matrix of mitochondria, finally ETC happens in the INNER membrane of mitochondria)

And finally you need to underestand some plan biosynthesis (same level as what I explained above for glycolysis)

So I basically summarized for you what is needed for the DAT's biochemistry, and if you take biochem course, its going to cover these steps in ALOT ALOT ALOT more detail (you have to like memorize ever little molecule involed, what enzyme is used, how to reverse the enzyme, and how to sometimes inhibit it for regulation)

More music to my ears!!! I'd hate to clutter my head with unnecessary details if I don't have to for the DAT. Thank you so much for going over the BIOCHEM portion that I need to focus on. You're awesome! :thumbup::thumbup:

Hi, everyone!

Based on talking to others who have taken DAT, many say that BIOL section is very broad and 1 Year of general BIOL isn't enough to ace BIOL section.

Since BIOCHEM isn't required to submit the initial application (just so as long as it's completed at some point after), some pre-dents take it after they apply.

With that said, for those of you who have taken DAT and BIOCHEM courses, would you say BIOCHEM helped? Your elaboration would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, it's true that bio on DAT is very broad, and a biochem course would definitely help you. HOWEVER, rather than taking the biochem course to prep for your DAT, which is an EXTREMELY INEFFICIENT WAY to prep, I would highly recommend just studying off kaplan and DAT destroyer. if you know those 2 study guides inside and out, you will nail the DAT bio.

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanna clarify one thing about what I said. Yes you don't need biochemistry course before the DAT. However, its a GREAT course to take before dental school (many dental schools highly recommend it, and even some require it)