Biochem Cortisol question help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k3nshin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, one of the Decks Questions:

Hrm (Hormone card)

Cortisol is the primary glucocorticoid produced by the adrenal cortex gland. Cortisol's principle physiological actions include all of the following EXCEPT:
:Increase Hepatic gluconeogenesis
:Increase Hepatic glycogenolysis
:Increase Protein catabolism
:Stimulation of fat deposition and inhibition of lipolysis
:Inhibit ACTH secretion(neg feedback mech)
:Maintainence of BP by sensitizing arterioles to the action of noradrenaline
:Renal Excretion

Ans :Stimulation of fat deposition and inhibition of lipolysis

Thats fine but in the explanantion part theres a line that says "[Cortisol/Glucocorticoids].....influence metabolism by causing the movement of fuels from peripheral tissues to the liver, where gluconeogenesis and GLYCOGEN SYNTHESIS are stimulated."

In the question one of the points was "Increase Hepatic glycogenolysis" and the xplanation part says theres stimulation of GLYCOGEN SYNTHESIS????!

as it is i hate biochem and this confusing things make me hate it even more....is this a typo in decks??

Members don't see this ad.

Also one more random question about cortisol....i had read somewhere that cortisol is the "stress hormone" (u can even find this wikipedia)....decks say that ACTH is the stress hormone...obviously acth will eventually lead to cortisol stimulation, so not that it matters much but just for knowledges sake which one is the stress hormone??

I geuss in NBDE they prolly wont have cortisol and ACTH both as the option, so it wont be a difficult choice...bt jus incase....

I just cant get myself to memorize what activates/deactivates what and what happens if this enzyme is missing and where is decarboxylation and where is reduction...anybody have any tips? im so confused!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just cant get myself to memorize what activates/deactivates what and what happens if this enzyme is missing and where is decarboxylation and where is reduction...anybody have any tips? im so confused!

hey anybody can get confused but i guess it's the basic functions of a hormone or an enzyme that u can memorize ...rest is applying the function into various aspects which u can correlate once u start with solving questions

cmon guys, sum1 clear the orig question plz....open ur decks n check...i think its a typo wut do u say?

decks says GH shifts utilization of energy from carbohydrates to lipids but other flashcard it says GH is released when there is hypoglycemia.kindly expalin..

hi
the permissive action of cortisol is:
it promotes actions of glucagon and catecholamines i..e glycogenolysis in the liver(glucagon) and promotes glycogenolysis and lipolysis from liver and muscle (catecholamines), but cortisol itself doesnt do all these.

Hi guys, one of the Decks Questions:

Hrm (Hormone card)

Cortisol is the primary glucocorticoid produced by the adrenal cortex gland. Cortisol's principle physiological actions include all of the following EXCEPT:
:Increase Hepatic gluconeogenesis
:Increase Hepatic glycogenolysis
:Increase Protein catabolism
:Stimulation of fat deposition and inhibition of lipolysis
:Inhibit ACTH secretion(neg feedback mech)
:Maintainence of BP by sensitizing arterioles to the action of noradrenaline
:Renal Excretion

Ans :Stimulation of fat deposition and inhibition of lipolysis

Thats fine but in the explanantion part theres a line that says "[Cortisol/Glucocorticoids].....influence metabolism by causing the movement of fuels from peripheral tissues to the liver, where gluconeogenesis and GLYCOGEN SYNTHESIS are stimulated."

In the question one of the points was "Increase Hepatic glycogenolysis" and the xplanation part says theres stimulation of GLYCOGEN SYNTHESIS????!

as it is i hate biochem and this confusing things make me hate it even more....is this a typo in decks??

Mobilization of fat from adipose tissue caused by cortisol releases free fatty acids which are degraded to their sub-units as Acetyl-CoA.. The liver takes up the fatty acids and converts them into acetly-coA which it then converts it into ketone bodies as acetoacetate and 3-beta hydroxybutyrate.. The liver secretes the ketones into the blood stream to be taken up by peripheral tissues and again converted once more into Acetyl-CoA for the TCA cycle or gluconeogenesis.. I think, hahaha