biochem for orgo 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apr27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken Orgo 2, because I understand that some schools let you substitute Biochem for it. People listed a few schools and said to check MSAR.

I'm navigating through MSAR and every school seems to require 2 semesters of Orgo 2 and/or lab with no indication that biochem is a viable substitute..even at the schools these people were listing

Where on MSAR does it specifically say you can make this substitution for orgo 2?

thanks,

apr27

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken Orgo 2, because I understand that some schools let you substitute Biochem for it. People listed a few schools and said to check MSAR.

I'm navigating through MSAR and every school seems to require 2 semesters of Orgo 2 and/or lab with no indication that biochem is a viable substitute..even at the schools these people were listing

Where on MSAR does it specifically say you can make this substitution for orgo 2?

thanks,

apr27

It's school specific and I thought that each school's page in the MSAR lets you know what to take. I think 100% of the places i applied said Orgo 2 was required. Just take both if you have time.

I think this is a bad idea...

I think every "good" candidate should take the following classes
  • Cell Biology
  • Gen Chem 1
  • Gen Chem 2
  • Orgo 1
  • Orgo 2
  • Biochem
  • Some sort of basic physiology (this could potentially even count as your second biology course)

I think the rest is up to your interests. Don't listen to me too much though... I am just a second semester sophomore :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is school-specific, and if it's not mentioned on their MSAR page, you can double check their website. I think this is pretty rare though; most of the schools I applied to required the second semester of orgo, although you are correct that some allowed substitution of biochem. Personally, I would take the second semester of orgo. There's no reason to drastically limit your possibilities.

Ok. It's just that I didn't take it, I'm applying this cycle, and I'm graduating. So, it may seem that I have to take it over the course of my year off. I hope this doesn't look unfavorable or isn't allowed.

From other people who have taken the class, I have heard that a lot of the mechanisms you will do in biochem require mechanisms (namely carbonyl chem) that you learned in orgo II.

Take both if you can. If I am recalling correctly, many schools required both Orgo 2 + Biochem.

Take both if you can. If I am recalling correctly, many schools required both Orgo 2 + Biochem.

Taking biochem may be helpful for med school (idk cuz I'm not in med school yet), but only a few schools require biochem. OP, like others have said, take ochem 2 during the year you apply. It will not look bad. You just need to make sure it's done before you matriculate or they will more than likely take back your acceptance.