• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

biochem for orgo 2

apr27

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2010
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I haven't taken Orgo 2, because I understand that some schools let you substitute Biochem for it. People listed a few schools and said to check MSAR.

I'm navigating through MSAR and every school seems to require 2 semesters of Orgo 2 and/or lab with no indication that biochem is a viable substitute..even at the schools these people were listing

Where on MSAR does it specifically say you can make this substitution for orgo 2?

thanks,

apr27

GoZags

5+ Year Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    1. Medical Student
      I haven't taken Orgo 2, because I understand that some schools let you substitute Biochem for it. People listed a few schools and said to check MSAR.

I'm navigating through MSAR and every school seems to require 2 semesters of Orgo 2 and/or lab with no indication that biochem is a viable substitute..even at the schools these people were listing

Where on MSAR does it specifically say you can make this substitution for orgo 2?

thanks,

apr27

It's school specific and I thought that each school's page in the MSAR lets you know what to take. I think 100% of the places i applied said Orgo 2 was required. Just take both if you have time.

Neuralicious

5+ Year Member
      Jan 15, 2012
      1. Pre-Medical
        I think this is a bad idea...

I think every "good" candidate should take the following classes
        • Cell Biology
        • Gen Chem 1
        • Gen Chem 2
        • Orgo 1
        • Orgo 2
        • Biochem
        • Some sort of basic physiology (this could potentially even count as your second biology course)

I think the rest is up to your interests. Don't listen to me too much though... I am just a second semester sophomore :cool:

About the Ads

kexy

10+ Year Member
        Aug 27, 2009
        1. Attending Physician
          This is school-specific, and if it's not mentioned on their MSAR page, you can double check their website. I think this is pretty rare though; most of the schools I applied to required the second semester of orgo, although you are correct that some allowed substitution of biochem. Personally, I would take the second semester of orgo. There's no reason to drastically limit your possibilities.

smarts1

10+ Year Member
          Oct 16, 2010
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            From other people who have taken the class, I have heard that a lot of the mechanisms you will do in biochem require mechanisms (namely carbonyl chem) that you learned in orgo II.

weezynation

5+ Year Member
            Jul 9, 2011
            1. Medical Student
              Take both if you can. If I am recalling correctly, many schools required both Orgo 2 + Biochem.

Taking biochem may be helpful for med school (idk cuz I'm not in med school yet), but only a few schools require biochem. OP, like others have said, take ochem 2 during the year you apply. It will not look bad. You just need to make sure it's done before you matriculate or they will more than likely take back your acceptance.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.