Withdrawal and Orgo 2 online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1. Should I still apply to no online courses? 2. Will this cause a significant issue in applying?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 1. No

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 2. Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 2. No

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

awicker

Reaction score
Background:

Long story short, during my sophomore year, Fall 2021, I had an ill family member, which required me to spend a lot of my time at home. All my classes recorded lectures; however, my aging orgo one professor couldn't figure out how to add audio to the recording until the 3rd or 4th week. I fell very behind without the lectures and decided to withdraw and take it the following semester. I took Orgo 1 in person the following semester and got an A-, then took Orgo 2 online over the summer through my school to stay on track and got an A , then took Orgo lab in person in the fall of 2022 and got an A.

Stats:

I have good stats, but I am hoping for some guidance navigating the Withdrawal and online prereq:

Stats: ORM, Male, 515 (128/126/129/132), GPA 3.99 sGPA 3.97, Clinical: 1.7k hrs, two research labs: 400hrs, Volunteering: 100 hrs, Shadowing: 50 hrs, Eagle Scout, EMT, Experience with diverse populations (special needs, Those without homes), and a paper in progress.

Question:

Many medical schools don't accept online coursework, specifically labs, but given that I took the lab in person and the extenuating circumstances, would it be worth applying to schools that say no online coursework on MSAR? Will this significantly affect my chances of getting into a medical school that accepts online on a case-by-case basis? I have no other "red flags"

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what you said I don't think it'll pose an issue at most schools if you describe your situation and write about your circumstances.

Background:

Long story short, during my sophomore year, Fall 2021, I had an ill family member, which required me to spend a lot of my time at home. All my classes recorded lectures; however, my aging orgo one professor couldn't figure out how to add audio to the recording until the 3rd or 4th week. I fell very behind without the lectures and decided to withdraw and take it the following semester. I took Orgo 1 in person the following semester and got an A-, then took Orgo 2 online over the summer through my school to stay on track and got an A , then took Orgo lab in person in the fall of 2022 and got an A.

Stats:

I have good stats, but I am hoping for some guidance navigating the Withdrawal and online prereq:

Stats: ORM, Male, 515 (128/126/129/132), GPA 3.99 sGPA 3.97, Clinical: 1.7k hrs, two research labs: 400hrs, Volunteering: 100 hrs, Shadowing: 50 hrs, Eagle Scout, EMT, Experience with diverse populations (special needs, Those without homes), and a paper in progress.

Question:

Many medical schools don't accept online coursework, specifically labs, but given that I took the lab in person and the extenuating circumstances, would it be worth applying to schools that say no online coursework on MSAR? Will this significantly affect my chances of getting into a medical school that accepts online on a case-by-case basis? I have no other "red flags"
I went through the same thing this app cycle. I would primarily apply to schools that accept online courses as mentioned on MSAR with some case-by-case ones sprinkled in.

I reached out to some schools like Yale (which I think said the online+in person lab was ok), but others like Harvard didn't seem too open to it. Not to say I expected to get IIs from those schools, but I didn't get much love from the schools that were on the fence about online courses compared to the ones that were ok with them. Granted, the on-the-fence ones tend to have high MCAT requirements so...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would try to take every class in person as possible. Online classes for things like Orgo don't make any sense anyway.

I would try to take every class in person as possible. Online classes for things like Orgo don't make any sense anyway.
For the lab I'd agree, but the lectures and exams being online and proctored don't really make that much of a difference. I had to take them online due to work obligations and it is a little frustrating that some schools don't care about that.

For the lab I'd agree, but the lectures and exams being online and proctored don't really make that much of a difference. I had to take them online due to work obligations and it is a little frustrating that some schools don't care about that.
Any lecture is fine online. Medical schools give online lectures more and more as time goes on.

But yes, labs need to be done in person. Anyone passing organic chemistry lab without doing actual lab work is laughable.

Reactions: 1 user
Background:

Stats:

Question:

It won’t be an issue- you had a very clear reason why you took it online. No school will penalize you for that.