1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Biochem II...necessary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by TX2005, Dec 9, 2008.

1. TX2005

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm looking at some degree plans. Is Biochem II necessary for dental school? One school I am looking at does not have Biochem II, but I'm not sure if that is something to worry about.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Andre3k

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    No it is definitely not required. Don't take it. Biochem I is not even required at some schools. Biochem II is definitely not required.

4. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Helpful...but not required anywhere. If you're planning to apply to UTHSCSA though I would suggest taking it that way you'll be prepared to test out of biochem if you so choose.

5. bcdds09

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Not 100% sure what Biochem II is, but UW requires 2 quarters of Biochemistry.

6. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Biochem II may also be known as Advanced Biochem at some schools.

7. bcdds09

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I see. Well in that case, probably not then.

To the OP, if you're really unsure, check the school websites to see or give them a call.

8. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Biochem I is a strong if not necessary class to have on your resume. Having said that I would recommend taking Biochem II if it fits in your schedule and you have time for it, because biochem is one of the classes that has a habit of raping students in D1. The more you know the better off you will be.

9. AggieDDS

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    How the hell are some of you guys bio majors, but yet not need to take any molecular biology courses?

10. wkawk2416

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hello,
    I am also debating to take biochem 2 or not.
    if it will help me a lot in dental school, why don't i just take it.

11. mddang

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've asked several D school students if they recommend taking biochem 2.

Half say yes, it will help.

Half say no, biochem in D school is totally different from undergrad biochem.

I really don't see how it could hurt, but I have chosen to RELAX for the next semester and take almost nothing.

12. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    if Biochem II was anything like at my school, i wouldn't have taken it...except that it's a requirement for my major...haha

don't take it if you don't have to, not needed

13. AlwaysImproving

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    4 credit hours of Biochemistry is required for UF. Biochemistry-I was 3 credit hours at my university. I don't know if other schools require boichem or not. But just be aware that at least one does and bec/ of that, others might too. Hope this helps :D

GL:xf::luck: and I wish you the best!:thumbup:

14. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yes but was that with lab?? usually if the course is 3 credit for lecture, then the lab counts for 1 credit =4 credits total

15. AlwaysImproving

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    In my university, Biochem 1 = 3credits
    Lab = 2 credits and Biochem 2 (advcd biochem) = 3

I personally took biochem 1 with the lab at the same time. So a total of 5...

16. leoele

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Biochem II was one of the most interesting courses I ever took. I don't think it would hurt to take it. The whole thing about taking these classes is not only to prepare for dental school, but to make yourself look appealing to dental schools. If you are going to take it and get an A or a B, then go for it! If you think you might get a C, then skip it. Biochem is very similar to Organic, so if you didn't do too well in that course, it's a strong indicator that you might not do so hot in Biochem.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. Good luck!

17. DCRedskinsRule

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Biochem in Dental school is definitely different than in undergrad...which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on how it was taught to you. Here at houston (obviously I can't speak for other schools) it's way more about integration/application/understanding than regurgitation of pathways and there is ZERO tracing of carbons or stuff like that from some undergrad classes. But you have to basically have it all memorized in order to truly apply/integrate the concepts anyway, so honestly, if you have the time and are willing to work your butt off, I'd recommend taking BioChem II only because it increases the amount of exposure you have to the material (ie regulation of pathways like Beta-oxidation, gluconeogeneis, etc) so that you at least have a better foundation and don't have to learn all the pathways from scratch while trying to fully understand them. ( wow, that was a LONG sentence...:cool:)

18. Tstarfish

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I didn't take any biochem in college because I lucked out and the dental school I attended did not require it. It was the best decision, because although it required more work in dental school, I got to take a more interesting class (Toxicology) which has actually helped out multiple times in random classes in dental school. You will be so sick of Biochem by the time you are done with it-if you can get away with not taking it then I recommend taking something else!!

19. klpennin

klpennin 20/22/20
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I took Biochem I and II. I don't think its a necessity, but if you have time to take it, it might come in handy in dental school. At least it may introduce you to some stuff. But if you don't really want to take it, or you think you will do bad, then don't take it. Its not worth it.