Biochem II online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittyy

Mizzou c/o 2018!!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to Ohio State University CVM and they require biochem II to be completed before August 13th.

Does anyone know schools that offer this? Ans possibly links if you have them handy?

Thanks,
Rachael Q

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm taking a 4 credit biochem class, BC 351, online at colorado state right now. I personally like the format of the class so far, and it's convenient for me because I'm abroad and the exams are administered via ProctorU, an online proctoring site. It just started on Jan 21st so you might be able to get the professor to enroll you late, or it's also offered over the summer.

I also started a thread a while back asking about online courses that has a few other suggestions you might prefer:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...nding-a-distance-biochemistry-course.1010167/

Hope that helps!

So I'm taking a 4 credit biochem class, BC 351, online at colorado state right now. I personally like the format of the class so far, and it's convenient for me because I'm abroad and the exams are administered via ProctorU, an online proctoring site. It just started on Jan 21st so you might be able to get the professor to enroll you late, or it's also offered over the summer.

I also started a thread a while back asking about online courses that has a few other suggestions you might prefer:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...nding-a-distance-biochemistry-course.1010167/

Hope that helps!
So all of the tests are taken online at home?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! I haven't taken an exam yet but the website made it look fairly easy to do (you can check out ProctorU and look at how it works), as well as there are weekly quizzes that aren't proctored and are on the textbook website (and you get two attempts on each - a pre and post quiz that are the same questions) so it's easy to do well on those.

Probably the only downside is it might be a bit more expensive than some of the other courses I saw (it's ~1500 or so, plus ~120 for an online textbook you have to pay for), but the fees to use ProctorU are included in the tuition.

Yup! I haven't taken an exam yet but the website made it look fairly easy to do (you can check out ProctorU and look at how it works), as well as there are weekly quizzes that aren't proctored and are on the textbook website (and you get two attempts on each - a pre and post quiz that are the same questions) so it's easy to do well on those.

Probably the only downside is it might be a bit more expensive than some of the other courses I saw (it's ~1500 or so, plus ~120 for an online textbook you have to pay for), but the fees to use ProctorU are included in the tuition.

This might be over my price range, but I don't see that they offer biochem II, I only see biochem. Do you know if they offer biochem II?

Umm.. not that I'm aware of, but I thought Ohio State only needed 3-4 credits of biochem, so long as it wasn't a class that was in a series (in which case then you'd need 1 & 2)? So this 4 credit should be acceptable.. I might be wrong, so I would just call and ask the admissions office if this would fulfil the requirements. I'd also ask about some of the other courses that were on that thread I linked you to, some of those are a bit cheaper.

I was accepted as well and am currently enrolled in a 4 credit biochem class and haven't heard that I'd need to take anything else.

I took a three credit biochemistry course in undergrad

I am emailing April Pugh now. The prereq website says 3-4 credit hours of biochem II. It also says "*At some institutions, the prerequisite for biochemistry is two semesters/quarters. When Biochemistry is offered as a series, both courses in the series must be completed."

I think my undergrad school offers biochem II, but it certainly wasn't required for me to graduate.

Umm.. not that I'm aware of, but I thought Ohio State only needed 3-4 credits of biochem, so long as it wasn't a class that was in a series (in which case then you'd need 1 & 2)? So this 4 credit should be acceptable.. I might be wrong, so I would just call and ask the admissions office if this would fulfil the requirements. I'd also ask about some of the other courses that were on that thread I linked you to, some of those are a bit cheaper.

My undergrad school offers biochem I and II, but I don't know if it was in a series?

It would be a good idea to to make sure that there is no lab portion required, as well. If you get the course approved by the admissons dept at Ohio State Univ before you enroll, you should be fine.

My undergrad school offers biochem I and II, but I don't know if it was in a series?
Typically if it's a two-semester series class, this will be indicated in the course descriptions and (possibly) course titles of the 2 parts.

Did someone from OSU contact you about needing to taking a biochem II course? I was also accepted and have only taken a one semester, 3-credit undergrad biochem course, but I haven't heard anything about needing to take an additional class. I don't wanna miss that if I do need to take it..

Typically if it's a two-semester series class, this will be indicated in the course descriptions and (possibly) course titles of the 2 parts.

Did someone from OSU contact you about needing to taking a biochem II course? I was also accepted and have only taken a one semester, 3-credit undergrad biochem course, but I haven't heard anything about needing to take an additional class. I don't wanna miss that if I do need to take it..
I was contacted many months ago while they reviewed my application

See, my school doesn't offer a series. BCH4024 is a 4 credit class that most med/vet schools accept. We have a BCH3025 course that is 3 credits that is not approved by our med/vet schools (here at UF). If your course is 4 credits, it should be approved. 3 credits and you may have to take a second semester or something.

I would definitely email April :)