Biochem II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mansoor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any need to take Biochem 2 or is Biochem 1 sufficient for the MCAT's? Also, i have heard that taking a course in Genetics before your MCAT is not worth it because there are not many in depth questions for which you would need upper level Genetics to know. Has anyone taken Biochem 2 and/or Genetics and noticed that either helped considerably, or is it not worth the effort? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Here at pitt, biochem 1 deals with structures and function. Biochem 2 deals with metabolic pathways. I would recommand you take both (1+2) as both will help you in the MCATS. As for genetics, take it if you can fit it in; however, the genetics on the mcats is simple, you should have learned it in bio.2 or some where in the review books. BIOCHEM is a HUGE healper if you are planning on taking the mcats!

Personally, I found that having taken genetics before the MCAT made all the genetics questions seem pretty easy. I don't know how helpful biochem would really be though. It depends on how it's taught. Based on MY biochem course, it would've been pretty useless for the MCAT, but great to have before starting medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be taking Biochem I and II plus genetics before MCAT time. I am doing this because I have the time and the MCAT format is changing somewhat for next April. AAMC states that:

"An Updated MCAT Is Coming!
In 2003, minor changes will be made to the MCAT. A few organic chemistry questions will be replaced by questions on DNA and genetics, the Verbal Reasoning (VR) section will have five fewer questions, it will be possible to achieve a 14 or 15 on the VR, and a total score will be reported (e.g., 45T). PS will become the first section of the day, followed by VR."

You can go to this webpage and see for yourself http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/start.htm

Both classes aren't necessary to do well in the exam. If you're able to get your hands on a good prep book (i recommend princeton review's bio sceince review) it should be more than sufficient to teach you the biochem nad genetics you need on that exam. If you have to take the class anyway, might as well before the exam. I wouldn't take explicitly for the exam.

Hope it helps,

Bill