Biochemistry II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bee1717

Reaction score
Is it true that biochemistry I is only required as a prerequisite for medical school? Meaning I do not have to take biochemistry II to get into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that biochemistry I is only required as a prerequisite for medical school? Meaning I do not have to take biochemistry II to get into medical school?
In general, yes, subject to the content of the course. This should be the case for the MCAT as well. Correct me if there exist medical schools that require 2 semesters of biochemistry on top of the gen chem/org chem requirements.

true, but at my school Biochem II was basically all metabolism and that definitely was beneficial on the MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
For schools that offer a 2-semester sequence, the first semester is typically structure & function of biomolecules, likely including enzyme kinetics, and the second semester is typically metabolism.

It's not a hard and fast rule. But that second semester is a lot of useful stuff for the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
true, but at my school Biochem II was basically all metabolism and that definitely was beneficial on the MCAT

Interesting. I didn’t take biochem 2 because it was going to be advanced kinetics and rates

Reactions: 1 user
In general, yes, subject to the content of the course. This should be the case for the MCAT as well. Correct me if there exist medical schools that require 2 semesters of biochemistry on top of the gen chem/org chem requirements.
U of a tucson requires 2 semesters of biochemistry :arghh:, though 1 technically is substitutable for genetics

Reactions: 1 user