Biochem instead of Chem II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, can biochem be substituted for General Chemistry II for prerequisites? Im planning to apply to most Florida schools but I'm doing my undergrad in Canada and for most med schools up here, biochem can be taken instead. I really don't like chemistry but I think id enjoy biochem more since it relates more to the human body.

Members don't see this ad.

I've only heard of some schools allowing you to substitute biochem for Organic Chemistry II. Is that the same thing as general chemistry II, in Canada?

Just curious, can biochem be substituted for General Chemistry II for prerequisites? Im planning to apply to most Florida schools but I'm doing my undergrad in Canada and for most med schools up here, biochem can be taken instead. I really don't like chemistry but I think id enjoy biochem more since it relates more to the human body.

No. Some places will allow biochem in place of organic II, but not gen chem. Florida schools, or at least the ones I applied to, require both organics in addition to 4 credits of biochem. There is nothing similar to gen chem with biochem. I'm in a 4 credit biochem class now and it is my personal hell. It relates more to rote memorization than anything else. Remember all that stuff that you glazed over in bio 1, such as Krebs and what not? We go into every mind numbing detail and memorize every structure, enzyme and cofactor for all of that. My class is focused on "human" biochem, yet many others won't be. Suck it up and take general chemistry II. This class makes me laugh at the times I complained about gen chem or organic. The mcat will also have more general chemistry on there than biochem.

I'm extra bitter now because I've only studied 30 hours or so for this exam and don't even come close to knowing the material to the extent I should.

Members don't see this ad :)
General chemistry is equivalent to inorganic chemistry. So I guess I have to suck it up and take it..?

I doubt it. I had a friend who I took p. chem. with, and he couldn't use that in place of gen chem II. If you have taken upper level chem classes gen chem II shouldn't be too hard.

Most of the schools I've looked at say one year of gen chem, one year of organic chem and then they recommend taking biochem. So from that I would say that they want you to take a full year organic chemistry. The absolute best, 100% safe method would be to contact the school directly and ask them

No. Some places will allow biochem in place of organic II, but not gen chem. Florida schools, or at least the ones I applied to, require both organics in addition to 4 credits of biochem. There is nothing similar to gen chem with biochem. I'm in a 4 credit biochem class now and it is my personal hell. It relates more to rote memorization than anything else. Remember all that stuff that you glazed over in bio 1, such as Krebs and what not? We go into every mind numbing detail and memorize every structure, enzyme and cofactor for all of that. My class is focused on "human" biochem, yet many others won't be. Suck it up and take general chemistry II. This class makes me laugh at the times I complained about gen chem or organic. The mcat will also have more general chemistry on there than biochem.

I'm extra bitter now because I've only studied 30 hours or so for this exam and don't even come close to knowing the material to the extent I should.

Amazing post, MossPoh! I totally agree. Basically it's one year of Gen Chem and one semester of BioChem on top of that later on.

lol dude im in the same boat ... 4 credit biochemistry class is rough SO much material and SO little time between tests to even take a break or anything.

At UC Berkeley, pre-meds take gen chem I, o-chem I, o-chem II, and biochem. They get away with it. So, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.
They use o-chem I to fulfill the gen chem II requirement and they use biochem to fulfill the o-chem II requirement. You'll have to contact the med schools to see if you'd be able to do that