Biochem, Micro, and Pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on using the Kaplan videos to really hone my knowledge base for these 3 subjects. After doing several videos, I'm wondering if it's just easier to read the Kaplan lecture notes instead of going through the videos. Is that a bad idea? I'm just trying to figure out what the best usage of my time will be. Also, would just flagging the Biochem/Micro/Pharm topics on Firecracker be sufficient for me to learn everything I need for the board exams? I am also incorporating the Lippincott/Lange Flashcards. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

way too many resources imo...don't spread yourself too thin. better to thoroughly master one resource per subject than having a little knowledge of several.

by now you should know how you learn best ie videos, flashcards, mindmaps, etc.. stick to that.

Reactions: 1 user
The issue is that I don't really know what to use yet especially since I just started these topics. That's why I was/am asking which resource would be best to use. Either just going through the kaplan lecture notes without the videos, kaplan lecture notes WITH the videos, or just flagging the FC topics. Is it possible to learn Biochem, Micro, and Pharm really well just from flagging the questions on FC?

Hey Darkskies,

I am done with Kaplan biochem video and lecture notes, so I know what it's like.

I strongly recommend that you watch the video and at the same time use the Kaplan notes. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the stuff that is not really covered in the lecture videos.

I am just done with Kaplan neuroantomy. 1/3 way trhough Kaplan pharm and 1/3 way through Kaplan immuno and they are really good.

Also to reinforce my memory I use Firecracker (I add topics right away after I watch the Kaplan video.) FC alone is not sufficient to really learn, it's more like a tool to reinforce your memory.

So if you have time, yes watch the video (don't just read the Kaplan lecture books alone use it with the video lectures).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Darkskies,

I am done with Kaplan biochem video and lecture notes, so I know what it's like.

I strongly recommend that you watch the video and at the same time use the Kaplan notes. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the stuff that is not really covered in the lecture videos.

I am just done with Kaplan neuroantomy. 1/3 way trhough Kaplan pharm and 1/3 way through Kaplan immuno and they are really good.

Also to reinforce my memory I use Firecracker (I add topics right away after I watch the Kaplan video.) FC alone is not sufficient to really learn, it's more like a tool to reinforce your memory.

So if you have time, yes watch the video (don't just read the Kaplan lecture books alone use it with the video lectures).

Thanks MudPhud! How much of Firecracker do you have completed? I only have about 2 systems completed and it's becoming overwhelming. Do you think there's still time for me to go through most of the topics in Firecracker(excluding anatomy)?

Absolutely man. Just study crazy! Immerse yourself in step 1 and you can do it. I actually have more than a year until my board. I sort of got upset when I realized my 1st year class/lectures weren't going to prepare me well for my board. So I've started reviewing all the 1st year subjects and plan to preview 2nd year subjects this summer.

I would stick to the plan by watching Kaplan video lectures then flag relevant topics in FC and then do UW. (I haven't started the UW yet though.)

So far I'm done with FC in neuroanatomy and biochem/genetics. Good luck!

Well my exam is in June so I don't really have that much time. How long would take to get through all of the Kaplan lectures for one subject if one were very focused?

Well my exam is in June so I don't really have that much time. How long would take to get through all of the Kaplan lectures for one subject if one were very focused?

Not very long at all. Many of them are less than 30 minutes.

Not very long at all. Many of them are less than 30 minutes.
Thanks for the reply! So would you say it's possible to get through all of the kaplan videos for one subject(let's say microbiology) in several days while annotating? Then, I would plan on reading the kaplan lecture notes(along with my annotations). Is this a good idea? Should I supplement this with the microbio/pharm flashcards or FC?

Also, I haven't been annotating into my FA but I have been annotating Pathoma. I don't think it bothers me to not have my First Aid annotated. Does anyone think that might be an issue later on?

FWIW I used anki and put everything into there as I was studying, broken down by subject decks and tags. I also scanned my FA and using screen captures the relevant section into the bottom section of every q as I was going through it, or the pathoma screen clips, or a helpful pic from a goggle search or FC, etc. That way i had the primary source right there if I missed a question on review. That and I could easily search my deck when I'm studying to look at my prior notes, which was the most helpful thing IMO instead of flipping through a book when I wanted to review something.
So I went with an unorthodox zero direct FA annotation method. Havent taken the test yet though so it may be the worst idea ever, but my timed randow UW avg is decent. Ill report back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if the Micro and Pharm Flashcards(Lippincott's + Lange) should be used alongside the Kaplan videos/notes in order to be well-prepared for these 2 subjects? Would just doing the Kaplan videos/lecture notes or just focusing on the flashcards be enough?

I just looked at Kaplan Pharm and it was too much. I needed something quick and simple, like KISSPharm. The videos made the buzz words so much easier to remember all these millions of drugs.

Reactions: 1 user