Biochem/Organic Chem Reaction Mechanisms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted244469

Does anyone have a definitive list of the reaction mechanisms we should know for the MCAT? Also, any helpful links for the actual mechanisms would be awesome as well. Thanks!

-Kovy

Members don't see this ad.

For the MCAT, I don't think memorizing minute mechanisms that we learn in Orgo I and II is too important. Definitely know electrophilic and nucleophilic sites of Carbonyl centers, know the reactivity of carboxylic acid and its derivates in the context of biologically relevant molecules such as peptides, triacylglycerides, etc. and definitely learn sugars the in the context of hemiacetal formation and stereospecificity (anomeric carbon, D vs. L). For Biochem, pathways and how they relate rather than the mechanisms are more important IMO (gluconeogenesis, PPP, Krebs)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have a definitive list of the reaction mechanisms we should know for the MCAT?

Oh sure. While I'm at it, is there anything else I can do to completely waste your time when you should be studying the right things for this test?

Does anyone have a definitive list of the reaction mechanisms we should know for the MCAT? Also, any helpful links for the actual mechanisms would be awesome as well. Thanks!

-Kovy

Don't memorize...learn general trends..and use concepts to infer and make conclusions. Learn what makes a nucleophile a nucleophile..and an electrophile an electrophile..that way on the test when an un-encountered mechanism shows up..you can at least make an educated guess. Memorizing mechanisms isn't useful IMO.

Reactions: 1 users