1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Biochem/Organic Chem Reaction Mechanisms

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by kovalchuk71, Aug 10, 2015.

1. kovalchuk71

Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Does anyone have a definitive list of the reaction mechanisms we should know for the MCAT? Also, any helpful links for the actual mechanisms would be awesome as well. Thanks!

-Kovy

2. TheGuru789

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For the MCAT, I don't think memorizing minute mechanisms that we learn in Orgo I and II is too important. Definitely know electrophilic and nucleophilic sites of Carbonyl centers, know the reactivity of carboxylic acid and its derivates in the context of biologically relevant molecules such as peptides, triacylglycerides, etc. and definitely learn sugars the in the context of hemiacetal formation and stereospecificity (anomeric carbon, D vs. L). For Biochem, pathways and how they relate rather than the mechanisms are more important IMO (gluconeogenesis, PPP, Krebs)

saresies, lmladdno84 and kovalchuk71 like this.
  3. StudyLater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Oh sure. While I'm at it, is there anything else I can do to completely waste your time when you should be studying the right things for this test?

4. studentdocftw

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't memorize...learn general trends..and use concepts to infer and make conclusions. Learn what makes a nucleophile a nucleophile..and an electrophile an electrophile..that way on the test when an un-encountered mechanism shows up..you can at least make an educated guess. Memorizing mechanisms isn't useful IMO.

lmladdno84 and StudyLater like this.