Biochem Proteins and Structures

Started by 752779
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

7

752779

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys, I have not taken Biochem yet, however I can manage to eliminate the choices down to 50%. Can anyone explain why R8D substitution replaces a positive charged residue with a negatively charged residue?
How can one recognize that R8D is a positive or a negative charged residue?
How come K4R is not has no role in substitution?

Thanks
Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 12.38.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 12.38.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 12.38.38 PM.png
 
If you have not taken biochem, the first thing you should memorize (yes, I am saying memorize here because there is no way around it even though I am very strongly against memorizing material for the MCAT) are the amino acid properties, 3- and 1-letter codes, and structures. These are very high yield on the MCAT and you must know these.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree completely! You need to know the general ideas of each and every one of them. Such as "Can this amino acid be phosphorylated?"
Even pKa/how pH affects the ionic charge of them. But First, you gotta know what they look like which will help. Watch these videos 8 times (im not kidding.) Draw out each one until you got the hang of it.


 
I agree completely! You need to know the general ideas of each and every one of them. Such as "Can this amino acid be phosphorylated?"
Even pKa/how pH affects the ionic charge of them. But First, you gotta know what they look like which will help. Watch these videos 8 times (im not kidding.) Draw out each one until you got the hang of it.



Thanks so much!