Biochem q's: UW vs. Qbank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cards21aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have both and am doing pretty stellar on qbank, but tanking on UW. I really like the way that UW asks the questions (ie. never would have thought of it that way), but for those w. a little more background, which was more representative of the biochem on your actual exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not using Qbank so I can't speak to it, but I am using UW and I think the biochem questions are much harder than the USMLEConsult. Even after studying biochem and seeing my scores improve in UC, UW scores only went up a bit. I've heard it said on here to think of UW as a learning tool, not a quiz tool so I am trying my best to keep that in mind. Good luck!

Biochem remains one of my weakest areas despite focused studying using multiple resources. Or so UWorld says, at least! :oops:

I've noticed that in UWorld I often know almost everything about the topic of the question but still can't get it right. Often, it's because they have a knack for using "alternative" names for things to mix you up... for Pete's sake, just say lactose and not galactosyl-beta-glucose or whatever. And tell me someone took vitamin C, not sodium ascorbate or somesuch nonsense. :laugh:

But I learn a lot, I think, from their questions. At least I have a pretty good feel for all of the critical biochem related pathology and important pathways that I need to have cold before walking in to take the exam, even if I haven't yet committed them to memory.

I've noticed that in UWorld I often know almost everything about the topic of the question but still can't get it right. Often, it's because they have a knack for using "alternative" names for things to mix you up... for Pete's sake, just say lactose and not galactosyl-beta-glucose or whatever. And tell me someone took vitamin C, not sodium ascorbate or somesuch nonsense. :laugh:
QUOTE]

I know the exact question you are referring to with the galactosyl-beta-glucose crap!!! If I wasnt in passive mode when I was answering the questions, I *may* have remembered that this was lactose. I am glad I am not the only one with biochemistry issues!

You guys need to hammer lippincott's biochem review hard..this can be a tremendous way to boost your score on exam day. I always seem to do well on biochem questions when i reviewed my biochem material like a few weeks ahead..but never never does it stick in my long term memory. So really try to go through this book fully once and then take out imp charts, pictures to go along with first aid. I know the frustration though..it's not that we dont get it but with everything else that we learn its hard to hold on to every nitty gritty detail..geez don't you wish everything in this world was much simpler than a complex set of mechanisms, enzymes and pathways.