Getting owned by biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.wieners

Medical Student ER nurse
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any solid suggestions for biochem or an opinion on which resource is best? I am missing a good bit of biochem on practice Qs.
Trying to go through FA's biochem I feel like I am spinning wheels as I don't have a solid foundation (weak course in undergrad, just don't remember much from block 1).
I am 8 weeks out from Step 1.
TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody have any solid suggestions for biochem or an opinion on which resource is best? I am missing a good bit of biochem on practice Qs.
Trying to go through FA's biochem I feel like I am spinning wheels as I don't have a solid foundation (weak course in undergrad, just don't remember much from block 1).
I am 8 weeks out from Step 1.
TIA
Boards and beyond. Dr Ryan will give you a good foundation. Simply reading first aid biochem is brutal watching the BnB vids will take you to the promise land

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello crashcart queen,

What particular biochem topics do you feel like you are having issues with? Is it specifically pathway based questions? Or are you having issues memorizing enzymes and connecting the biochem to the underlying disease? I know a lot of students spend a significant amount of time trying to memorize biochem pathways. This may be useful, however, the USMLE likes to tie in biochem with a disease or pathology. I would focus on learning the diseases discussed in biochem section of first aid and then supplement that knowledge with the important biochemistry (I.e. knowing which enzymes are important and how they are related to the disease process, understanding which by products are accumulating in certain diseases). If you give me an example of a specific question you're struggling with, I'd be happy to take the time to help break it down for you!

Best,

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Hello crashcart queen,

What particular biochem topics do you feel like you are having issues with? Is it specifically pathway based questions? Or are you having issues memorizing enzymes and connecting the biochem to the underlying disease? I know a lot of students spend a significant amount of time trying to memorize biochem pathways. This may be useful, however, the USMLE likes to tie in biochem with a disease or pathology. I would focus on learning the diseases discussed in biochem section of first aid and then supplement that knowledge with the important biochemistry (I.e. knowing which enzymes are important and how they are related to the disease process, understanding which by products are accumulating in certain diseases). If you give me an example of a specific question you're struggling with, I'd be happy to take the time to help break it down for you!

Best,

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors
Honestly just memory issues. I have a hard time getting into the basics that don't directly relate to a specific disease or pathology.

Well the good thing is that for STEP 1 you really only need to know the basic biochem that does relate to a specific disease or pathology. I wouldn't worry about spending time learning the intricacies and detailed biochem that you may have learned during your M1 or M2. Just focus on the biochem that you come across in First Aid and UWorld.

Any other questions?

Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors