Biochem Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamer8987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having so much trouble with this one question and if anyone could give me any insight that would be great!:
The protease catalyzes the hydrolysis of a heptapeptide substrate with a kcat of 1000 s-1 and a km of 0.075 M. Calculate the Vmax for substrate hydrolysis when HIV-I protease is present at 0.2 mg/ml.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having so much trouble with this one question and if anyone could give me any insight that would be great!:
The protease catalyzes the hydrolysis of a heptapeptide substrate with a kcat of 1000 s-1 and a km of 0.075 M. Calculate the Vmax for substrate hydrolysis when HIV-I protease is present at 0.2 mg/ml.

U have the concentration of the enzyme. u kno that Vmax= kcat [Et] just plug and chug. I am assuming the protease they are talking about is the HIV-I protease. I dont see why they would give u Km. It might be there to throw u off. But u cant use the MM equation cuz ur gonna need Vo at least. Cuz remember u can substitute Vmax with (Kcat[Et]) in that equation.