Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drabberbadge

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which med schools require biochem as a pre req?
I have to choose between a mo bio/biochem combined course and a biochem lec with Lab course
I'm leaning toward the combined course however it doesn't have a lab
Would it still fulfill biochem requirement?
 
Hey OP, for questions regarding specific requirements you should reference medical schools' websites or a current version of the MSAR. Your pre-med advisor probably has a copy of the MSAR, or alternatively you can purchase one here.
 
Hey OP, for questions regarding specific requirements you should reference medical schools' websites or a current version of the MSAR. Your pre-med advisor probably has a copy of the MSAR, or alternatively you can purchase one here.
I am going to apply for 2016 and I believe they are changing the requirements that's why I didn't look at msar
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going to apply for 2016 and I believe they are changing the requirements that's why I didn't look at msar

Don't hold me to this, but I never took any Biochem lab, applied widely (to ~30 schools) during the 2013-2014 cycle, and have not encountered a single school in which Biochem Lab was required. I had all the other labs however. I'd suggest looking on the respective medical school websites though just to be safe.

However, it may be useful to do the Biochem lab, especially since many of the concepts may be tested in the 2015 onwards version of the MCAT. Always better to get more practice.
 
My school has 4 primary Biology courses that includes Biochem, but 3 labs to go with it (without Biochem) and no one has run into a problem with it yet.