Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothpaste11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody know if theres a difference between biochem offered from the bio department as opposed to biochem offered from the chem department?
I mean, do dental schools consider the curriculum of the courses different, depending on which department you take it under? (at my school, the description from the bio and chem departments for biochem are different) Or do they think its considered "repeating" a course.....even though its a totally difff department...

For example, the chem description is:
Study of the chemistry and metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids, vitamins and hormones, along with selected topics in comparative biochemistry, cytochemistry and chemical genetics. Laboratory work emphasizes independent study and methods of biochemical research. Three class hours and four laboratory hours weekly.

Whereas under the bio department its
This course will introduce students to the basic concepts in biochemistry through lecture and problem sets. A biomedical perspective will be used throughout. Students will learn the basic principles governing the structure and function of biochemical systems.

there is a point to this post.....i already took the biochem from the chem department (which btw was a bad move bc im a bio major!!! & i got a B in the course, fml) so would it be completley a waste of my life to take the biochem from the BIO department next semester ? It sounds more intresting and oddly theres no lab...unlike when i took the chem one. Theyre both 4 credit courses.

any input would be great. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

from what i read on here and have been told, i think your suppose to take the bio one

oh hmmm....well i'd only be taking it just as another science class to help raise my gpa, i dont need it for my major or anything. However i dont want to take it if its considered repeating a course since i took biochem under the chem department. thats all im worried about

Members don't see this ad :)
If the course numbers for the biochem courses are different (for example, BIO300 v. CHM 320), I don't think dental schools would consider it as retaking the course. You should be fine.

The one from the chem department will definitely suffice. That course description is very inclusive and doesnt seem to leave anything out. The one from the bio department seemed much more vague. In addition, I think the lab is mandatory, which is not offered by the bio department, indicating you took the correct course.

Dear god i am telling you now not to take the chem department one. I had this same choice and i chose the chem department class because it gave me a nicer looking schedule. Turns out this was probably one of the hardest classes i ever took. For the chem version you basically do EVERYTHING in the bio version PLUS you have know every organic mechanism, every detail, and soooo much more information. I gave that class a 110% and barely pulled off a B-. dont make the same mistake as me, just take the bio version.

loll i know what you mean!! I already took the chem based one though!!!! and thats my problem too, i got a freakin B!!!!! it was difficult, alot more chem based then i was aware of/prepared for.
so now I'm wondering if i can take the bio one, if itll be any different bc i want to get an A. however i dont wanna look like im repeating the course (to adcoms). does that make sense....i have the opportunity to take it next semester under the bio department

Make sure it isn't the same class...at my school you can sign up for it under either the bio or chem department but it's the same professor, meeting time, etc.

oh yea youre right.
they meet at different times on different days and its a different professor teaching for each course.
I guess ill ask the bio professsor tomm how or if her class is diff than the chem one

It sounds more intresting and oddly theres no lab...unlike when i took the chem one. Theyre both 4 credit courses.

any input would be great. thanks!

so i don't know much about US schools but how can they both be 4 credits with no lab. Isn't it if the course has a lab its 4 credits and if it doesn't then its three credits?

if you can't handle the Chem dept class, you will have trouble with biochem in dental school. I highly recommend the chem dept class over the bio.

I am a Biological Chemistry major and BioChem department at our school is merged with Chemistry department. So the Biochem offered is from chem department and all the dental school's I am applying to stated they do consider it. May be asking the dental school would be your best bet. Besides you could take it to raise your GPA if you know you are gonna make A (which you should since you took it once already :p)

Good luck