Biochemistry: A requirement for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rudi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My premed adivsor told me 60 schools require applicants to have taken Biochem. I haven't and don't plan on taking it...am I in trouble?

Members don't see this ad.

that's what she says

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Zweihander
Not unless you want to apply to those schools.

quite possibly the finest answer this year

:laugh:

If you live in Florida, definitely take Biochem (at least 1 semester). Most FL schools require 1 semester, and Florida State requires 2.

hey how bout a list?

Florida Schools
Mayo
Michigan

Is that it?

Why don't you wanna take it?

At my school, we take Biochem with Anatomy during our first term. Now, those of us who took Biochem in undergrad could focus on Anatomy (the MUCH harder and time consuming class). Those who didn't take it had to worry about both classes.

Why not take it now when you have a much less workload as an undergrad then wait until med school when the material will be just as difficult, but will be crammed into 1/3 of the time you would have taken in an undergrad class? That seems foolish to me. Take it, bro!

Yeah, biochem sucks. It sucks real bad. It's all very interesting stuff, there's just a lot to know. I personally think that having taken it already will help me a lot in my first year in med school. It'll be a lot of review, and the previous exposure to the material will make the unit less stressful, I'm sure. On top of that, it's a big application booster no matter where you're applying. I would recommend taking a semester.

Originally posted by sickofit
hey how bout a list?

Florida Schools
Mayo
Michigan

Is that it?

I was actually looking this up the other day for the schools I'm interested in and compiled a little list of ones that require it or recommend it. I was trying to convince myself that I didn't really need to take it, but I've decided I'm taking it now.

Duke: Biochem recommended
Stanford: Biochem strongly recommended
Dartmouth: Biochem encouraged
USC: Biochem required
Tufts: Biochem strongly recommended
Georgetown: Biochem strongly recommended
UCD: Biochem strongly recommended

I only checked 24 schools, btw.

Originally posted by Sophie
I was actually looking this up the other day for the schools I'm interested in and compiled a little list of ones that require it or recommend it. I was trying to convince myself that I didn't really need to take it, but I've decided I'm taking it now.

Duke: Biochem recommended
Stanford: Biochem strongly recommended
Dartmouth: Biochem encouraged
USC: Biochem required
Tufts: Biochem strongly recommended
Georgetown: Biochem strongly recommended
UCD: Biochem strongly recommended

I only checked 24 schools, btw.

I didn't officially take biochem in college for credit. I did, however, "audit" the class (i.e. no tests, no credits). It still showed on my transcript, just as a no credit audit class. I still managed to get interviews or acceptances from schools that "strongly recommend" it, including some top ones from the above list. So if you want to learn it and have it on your transcript to show the med schools, but don't want to go through the stress of exams and grades, maybe that's a way to go.

Don't forget the University of Nebraska. They require biochemistry plus a course in molecular genetics.

In my opinion, you should take biochemistry if you have the opportunity. I'm taking it now, and I find it extremely interesting. But then again, I'm a biochemistry major. So my opinion might be a tad slanted.

As others have mentioned, several other schools highly recommend the course.

Take Biochem!! (if you can). I think if there is one class that prepares you in the slightest for some of the rigors of med school it's biochem. Plus you're so far ahead of the game when you recognize all the stuff you're learning in Biochem in med school.

I loved biochem.

biochem was an ass where i took it.
but interesting shiet no doubt.
prior exposure would def be a benefit.

i think biochemistry most definitely should be a requirement. how can you understand diseases if you don't understand cellular function??????

I just don't understand the griping about biochem.

biochem is required as a pre-req at the univ of MN

Originally posted by ollie2003
i think biochemistry most definitely should be a requirement. how can you understand diseases if you don't understand cellular function??????

I just don't understand the griping about biochem.

they teach it again in med school.