1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Biochemistry annoyance

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by tluedeke, Aug 9, 2015.

1. tluedeke

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Studying enzyme kinetics, which seems to be an extremely heavily tested topic on the MCATs. Unfortunately, it seems to be myopically focused on Michaelis-Menten kinetics. I've always hated MM enzyme kinetics, because it seems to be a totally useless theory - oversimplified, with assumptions that render it useless outside the test tube in extremely particular circumstances, and certainly not applicable to medicine.

It's akin to Keynesian economics. It is a lovely theory that has pleasurable, simple mathematics that makes it intuitive and eminently testable with a wide range of problems for students, thus making it irresistible to educators. It also happens to be completely and utterly, disastrously wrong and useless....

If there's one thing I can't abide, it is teaching something wrong because it is mathematically convenient...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Neutrophil2016

Pre-Medical
    Well, if you find it so simple then you should do very well on any questions related to it on the MCAT. I cannot say much about how true Michaelis-Menten is physiologically because I'm no biochemist. However, you need to understand it for the exam. Just consider it the work you have to put in to get into medical school. I personally don't care for most psychology, but it is on the test. So, I choked it down.

lmladdno84 likes this.
  4. babyelephant

2+ Year Member

where are some good Michaelis-Menten kinetics videos... tluedeke if ur good at it..
    do u mind doing a skype or google hangout video or Michaelis-Menten kinetics ?

i have tried khan videos.. and im still like wth

5. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

The kinetics of catalytic processes is extremely useful in industry, and leads to polymer design methodology (as well as catalyst design). It's essentially the same thing as MM kinetics but applied more generally, so I'm not sure where you feel you are being misled about it's accuracy (or inaccuracy as you believe). It seems to work pretty darn well. When you take pharmacokinetics in medical school and learn about drug decay and dosing, you'll be amazed at how a simple model can be extremely useful.

Crayola227, Gibbward and lmladdno84 like this.
  6. lmladdno84

2+ Year Member

MM is extremely easy points for test day.

Ad2b likes this.
  7. Gibbward

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    +1 To say say MM kinetics is completely useless is false. In drug development, initial mass screenings for potential drugs utilize MM kinetics. It's definitely way cheaper and more efficient to test potential drugs in vitro first compared to doing in vivo studies right away. Yes, people who make grand statements about some drug or enzyme they discovered based only MM kinetics are not approaching research correctly. However, there is definitely a place for this theory in science and in medicine.

Crayola227 likes this.
  8. StudyLater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Did you just get into college? This type of **** happens all. the. time. Not saying it's the correct way to go about things. I'm more asking, A. Why now? B. Why specifically for the MCAT? and C. Why MM? So many other models are gross approximations of reality. Why are you zoning in on MM, during your studies for the MCAT? Just study and know it or don't. If you want people to agree with you that it's completely useless, that'll be hard. Not perfectly accurate, though? We'll all agree on that. Cool. You got your dose of social support for the day. Go study.

Crayola227 likes this.
  9. OrdinaryDO

OrdinaryDO Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Honestly, I can't believe I even read that correctly. I read it twice just to make sure. The L-B plot was derived from the MM plot. Both plots are very useful in the field of medicine and production of pharmaceuticals. I could write a novel on the importance on this one topic, but I'd rather save it for later. You should really respect this part of biochemistry--I have had many professors agree with the notion that if you could summarize Biochemistry into one word, it would be kinetics.

Crayola227 likes this.