Biochemistry anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SistaKaren

Displaced Tar Heel
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious...how important is having biochemistry prior to going to Med School? I wasn't really considering taking it (I'm a nonscience major), until a friend of mine who is in her third year of med school said that it helped her understand the material better. What are everyone else's thoughts? Did it help to have it, or am I okay without taking it?

Members don't see this ad.

Whats up SistaKaren!! I see that you are from Chapel Hill, I'm from State!! So i'm right down the road. I have some friends that are in med school there at UNC and say that Biochem is a lot of help. You will have a biochem class in med school. They also said that it helped them review for the MCAT!! I'm a sophomore and will be taking biochem next semester! I would recommend it! Since you don't need it, take it as Credit only!! It would be good to get a bad grade when Biochem is your elective! You have IM?? Whats your IM name??
later, k

I disagree with respect to taking biochem through a pass/fail format. Biochemistry is a critical class in med school and proving you could jam in such a course (in undergrad) would further validate your candidacy. I could almost guarantee they (adcoms) would frown upon a pass /fail scenario (in my opinion). If anything, sit in on the class without registering. That way, they have no definitive record. A couple of years ago, I had audited the class and received strange signals from profs. and advisers. This prompted me to take it for grade the following term. If you take it, make sure you slam it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I will go ahead and take biochemistry (I initially thought it was a year long course, but there's a semester long one). But I doubt I'll take it before I take MCAT's. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Oh yeah...my IM is KarenSaysHeeYay in case you want to IM me..but I'm rarely up there!
smile.gif

what a coincindence. two peeps from nc! i'm up at state and an acquantance at unc med echoed dockwi's sentiments. biochem will help you out quite a bit. take it before the mcats though. i've been told by many that it helps quite a bit on the mcats. i know here at state dr. knopp's bch 451 is hard as hell. dr. sylvia i hear is a lot better. my im is jimbuctu. hit me up if i'm on. peace.

Hey Karen: You don't need biochemistry for med school. I suggest you take am ore relaxed course that will develop your humanistic/artistic side so you can show the med schools you are familiar with the human aspect of medicine. That will get you in for sure.

------------------
I don't follow tha drugz, tha drugz follow me

Thanks for the advice jose. I didn't think that I needed for a requirement or anything, I was just wondering if it was good to have for the future.

But believe me, I'm a phil major with a minor and social and economic justice...I'm definitely trying to concentrate on getting more humanities in before I graduate!
smile.gif

Karen

i'm currently taking biochem and just finished with the MCAT. i don't know about helping with med school, but i'd definitely suggest it for the MCAT. essentially, biochem integrates the 4 core sciences in contexts which are medically applicable (ie. likely to be on the MCAT). i think it's a great way to brush up on the basics of the core sciences, since it's likely been a while since you've taken them. hope this helps.