Biochemistry I--will placing out set me behind?

Started by smithek
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

smithek

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I pass a biochem proficientcy exam in the fall, I could place out of biochem I. It would make my first semester nice, but I'm afraid it will leave me feeling behind in biochem II in the spring. Has anyone opted to take this oppertunity? Were you happy you did or didn't? Should I take it regardless to have class that might help my GPA? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
 
If I pass a biochem proficientcy exam in the fall, I could place out of biochem I. It would make my first semester nice, but I'm afraid it will leave me feeling behind in biochem II in the spring. Has anyone opted to take this oppertunity? Were you happy you did or didn't? Should I take it regardless to have class that might help my GPA? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I would go ahead and take it, especially if it might help your GPA. I don't know of anybody who actually placed out of Biochem I this past year, regardless of their background. There isn't a lot of overlap between the first and second courses, but you'll find the first course gets referenced occasionally in other classes, especially when discussing drugs.

I hope that helps!
 
I was under the same conundrum at the same school ironically and I'm glad I took it. It's slightly more focused on drugs at the COP and its somewhat of a rite of passage with the professors you get.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I pass a biochem proficientcy exam in the fall, I could place out of biochem I. It would make my first semester nice, but I'm afraid it will leave me feeling behind in biochem II in the spring. Has anyone opted to take this oppertunity? Were you happy you did or didn't? Should I take it regardless to have class that might help my GPA? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Having had biochem, I think it'd be a nightmare to even prepare for a proficiency exam like that, although I like biochem. Sounds like it would be harder to do that and then count on it in order to stay updated for the second half, than just taking both while in school and having all the relevant stuff fresh in your mind.
 
If I pass a biochem proficientcy exam in the fall, I could place out of biochem I. It would make my first semester nice, but I'm afraid it will leave me feeling behind in biochem II in the spring. Has anyone opted to take this oppertunity? Were you happy you did or didn't? Should I take it regardless to have class that might help my GPA? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Do you have to pay for it if you had to retook it?

If you can place out of a class that your otherwise have to pay for, especially in the first year, the money you save can be big!

But some schools cap tuition after certain 10-12 (~12 credits per semester), in that case it is to your advantage to take as many classes as you can handle and still do well.
 
Do you have to pay for it if you had to retook it?

If you can place out of a class that your otherwise have to pay for, especially in the first year, the money you save can be big!

But some schools cap tuition after certain 10-12 (~12 credits per semester), in that case it is to your advantage to take as many classes as you can handle and still do well.

It's a set cost after 12 credits; the poster wouldn't save cash, only time (which is like cash, in a way...).
 
It's a set cost after 12 credits; the poster wouldn't save cash, only time (which is like cash, in a way...).

In that case I would take it, it will be an easy A without much more than just classroom time needed. OP likely won't have an internship lined up in the first part anyway.
 
Best thing that ever happened to me was being able to test out of 2 classes per semester my first year...all those suckers studying and taking quizzes...I was sleeping in my bed. Nothing is an "easy A." You could focus on your other classes instead of wasting time in a class you don't need.