Biochemistry major, computer science major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbhasdance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read some threads on here about ex-Computer Science majors or Computer Science majors looking to get into medical programs, but I'm looking for something more specific.

I am a sophomore at a university, used to be a Biology major minoring in Chem, but now I am a Biochem major, and I haven't truly chosen my major. I'm considering Computer Science. I've talked with my counselor about this, and it is doable. Just curious as to how this will look on applications. Or does it just not matter?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I just wanted to make sure.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it's a bonus for regular MD admissions, but I suspect it will be a good boost at MD/PhD admissions. BUT, I tripled in Computer Science & Engineering, Mathematics and Biology, and I haven't received 1 MD/PhD interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
Gosh, I'm really typing horribly today. I meant choosing CS as my minor. I don't know if that changes your reply or not.

Does your school have a computational neuroscience major? That would be right up your ally.

No it doesn't, that would be amazing :( Just trying to get input from people who have been through this before, as to what roads I could/should take.

No it doesn't, that would be amazing :( Just trying to get input from people who have been through this before, as to what roads I could/should take.

What I'm getting at is that a lot of schools are combining computer science with other scientific subjects, I would check into that if I were you.

Now I see. Thanks, I will definitely look into it. If I can transfer a good bit of my classes over, I would definitely jump at this.

Now I see. Thanks, I will definitely look into it. If I can transfer a good bit of my classes over, I would definitely jump at this.

Talk to someone in the computer science department as well as your advisor. Sometimes advisors are not aware of all of the opportunities there are within a department.

Talk to someone in the computer science department as well as your advisor. Sometimes advisors are not aware of all of the opportunities there are within a department.

will do, thanks for the advice!