Major hour mistake on AMCAS activities submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coolbro358!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I submitted my application two days ago and I realized that I left the hours section on my research activity as 130 hours when it should have been 70 and now I'm freaking out. I'm going to tell all of the schools I applied for about this oversight, and I hope I'm not seen as a liar. The rest of my activities are fine and accurate, but I really hate that I let this happen. So, here's my question: am I going to be doomed/ blacklisted? I already tried asking AMCAS to fix it yesterday, but of course that did not work lmao.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it may be time to consider other careers. Perhaps business or law? I don't think this will be forgiven by admission committees - its simply too big of a red flag

/s

• Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
This is not a time for sarcasm @thefirerisen when someone is in anguish.

130 hours is not that much for research-- if you were going to lie, you would have made it at least 400 hours. So 70 vs 130 is not going to get me very excited. Just pretend you never reviewed the submitted application which is actually a good policy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why it’s important to not rush to submit the first day.

I don't think emailing each school is necessary as they probably won't even see your email since this is such a busy time for them, and you don't necessarily want to draw negative attention to yourself. 130 isn't even that much for research, so no one will really think much of it, IMO.

Now that you've submitted just take a break and don't re-read anything. Enjoy the mini-break before the hell of secondaries. I found a few typos months into the app cycle after I've already received over a dozen interviews. It's nbd.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the replies! I want to make sure adcoms get a genuine idea of me, so I still want to at least mention the correction through my secondaries. I'm guessing that bringing attention to it will make me look worse?

Thank you for the replies! I want to make sure adcoms get a genuine idea of me, so I still want to at least mention the correction through my secondaries. I'm guessing that bringing attention to it will make me look worse?

Yes. It is a zit. Don't mention the zit on your chin on a first date or make an excuse for it. No good can come of it. Do you really want to draw attention to the fact that you have poor attention to detail. Just put it out of your mind.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Well, this thread apparently is the OP's second post. :)

Reminder:

A major error is saying 3000 hours instead of 300. This is a minor error. A very, very minor error.

Let it go.

Reactions: 2 users