Biochemistry or Second Semester O Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochemistry or second semester O. Chem

• Biochemistry is harder

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Second semester O. chem is harder

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • both are the same

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

macpappy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to take second semester organic chemistry over or take Biochemistry. Which class is harder?

Members don't see this ad.

For medical school...isn't 2nd semester O-chem a Requirement??? Some schools even require biochem.

kaikai128 said:
For medical school...isn't 2nd semester O-chem a Requirement??? Some schools even require biochem.

The schools I have been looking at will accept biochemistry in place of second semester O chem. I got a D in second semester O chem and instead of taking first semester O chem and second semester O chem, I might just take biochemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
macpappy said:
The schools I have been looking at will accept biochemistry in place of second semester O chem. I got a D in second semester O chem and instead of taking first semester O chem and second semester O chem, I might just take biochemistry.
Are you willing to let that D remain on your transcript??? Although they may accept biochem, I would suspect that the D would still be there.

And BTW, at my University...biochem was much more difficult than orgoII.

Biochem is harder...you would be better off just working extra hard in O Chem and getting that D off your transcript rather than getting another one in biochem. Good luck!

kaikai128 said:
Are you willing to let that D remain on your transcript??? Although they may accept biochem, I would suspect that the D would still be there.

Good point. Retaking second semester O chem would raise my GPA a bit. Just looking into all my options. Thanks for the info..

the two classes also sort of feed off each other and while most schools recommend Biochem, i wouldn't bypass OChem II, i noticed you said you would retake both

I got a D in second semester O chem and instead of taking first semester O chem and second semester O chem,

semesters of Ochem why?

kahoo99 said:
the two classes also sort of feed off each other and while most schools recommend Biochem, i wouldn't bypass OChem II, i noticed you said you would retake both

I got a D in second semester O chem and instead of taking first semester O chem and second semester O chem,

semesters of Ochem why?

Well, I have been out of college for a few years and figured that in order to do well in O Chem II that I would need to refresh with O Chem I. From what I remember, O Chem II builds from O Chem I. If I just jumped right into O Chem II it might be an uphill battle, since I don't remember anything from O Chem I. Of course like any college student, I am trying to save money but get what I need to be competitive.

Why not sit-in on Organic I? Most professors wouldn't mind.

I thought biochem was easier than organic in the fact that it seemed more applicable. Organic 2 is easy as well, but I would STRONGLY suggest what I did which was study harcore the first session (or sit in on Organic 1 if you have taken it they prob would not even know the class is so large) and learn the properties. This is very important. If you learn things like that (nucleophilicty vs electr, basic and acidic, electronegativity) Basically when you study have a periodic table by your side, and look at it when learning something. This will help a lot.
BTW in my experience organic 2 was a lot easier (in that I didnt have to study half as much) as first semester. I think if you get the principles down from 1 the next session will be a lot easier.
Good luck
PS I agree with one of the posters who said they feed off eachother (biochem and organic) they really really do. Try to understand chirality, and stereochemistry this will help you a lot in biochem. I don't know why people ever think they don't help. I really feel organic lays the foundation for biochem if you take the time to really try and learn/understand it.

I personally thought that Biochem was much, much easier than Orgo, but I think it just depends on the person. To me, Orgo was tiresome and abstract, whereas I found Biochem to actually be useful and interesting. And surprise! You will need to use Biochem as a doctor. I think I learned more Organic Chemistry in Biochem than i did in Orgo! As a sidenote, all of the schools that I was accepted to waived my Orgo 2 requirement (I never finished the class). I am not recommending this option because you need it for the MCAT, but it is possible at some schools. If you did not do so well in Orgo 1, you should take Orgo 2 just to prove yourself to the admissions committee.

o-chem is easy, especially o-chem too. there is no thinking involved---just remembering things.

in biochem, you have equations, math, and much more memorization than o-chem.

this could be just at my school, but o-chem was the easiest of all chemistries.

if you are a math expert and don't despise it like me, this may not be applicable.

if u reatake the o-chem then your D will magically dissaper from your AACOMAS GPA.

otherwise it will stay there.

that alone woudl be enough 4 me 2 reatake the class...but in case u need another reason...here goes:

if you decide to take biochem instead...the committee might wonder whether you are dedicated because you did not retake the class you failed...granted biochem can be easier or harder depending on the school, teachers, ect...and therefore it might seem like you do not want to overcome your bad grade in orgo

i dunno whether i am explaining the concept well or not but that if i was on a committee i would seriously question why a student didnt retake a class

I agree.. retake O-chem... sit in on first.. or just review everything. When you repeat a course.. the better mark is placed on the AACOMAS GPA and therefore you get a higher GPA... 2 birds one stone. Bioch can be hard depending where you go. Don't be afraid of O-chem... just need a good prof... or good tutor.