Biochemistry requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

America1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you take just a biochemistry course without a lab does that suffice the req, or do you need a lab a lot of the schools I've called about this cant give me straight answers, what do you all know.

Members don't see this ad.

I took Biochemistry w/o lab (although I am now taking lab in my spring semester senior year- med schools didn't know about this though) and it was fine.

I've never seen a biochem lab required for med school...just the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly you don't need a lab, and there's not a huge number of schools who require biochem at all (although I believe it's good prep for M1 year).

Not a requirement anywhere I applied. Biochem itself was only required by a couple of places.

depends on the school...for example...FSU has specific requirements on BCH...I would have to take BCH Lab because of the undergrad institution I went to...contact the school for their specifics...because UF is specific as well..

Does anyone know if there are med schools that require two semesters of biochem?

I think Hopkins requires 1 or 2. Gotta check the MSAR, I know its in there.

At the places it's recommended, do they really prefer that you've taken it? I already took the MCAT, spent thousands after college to do a post-bacc, and really don't feel like wasting another summer taking a miserable class (did that last summer). I have a solid GPA, solid MCAT, blah blah blah, but would I put myself at a disadvantage for top schools if I didn't take it?

Florida is the only place I know of that requires the lab, but I think that they even have some conditions to get around it in case your UG house doesn't offer one.

OHSU requires it but the lab is optional