Biochemistry without Organic first

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomattic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted this? Due to the way my school's courses are offered this summer, Biochemistry is really the only upper division course I can take. I have not taken (and will not have time to take) Organic Chem 1.

I have been given permission from the instructor to enroll without the prereq of O-Chem 1, but is this complete suicide? I would be taking it in the summer, but it would be my only class. Am I doomed without O-Chem, or can memorization and chem skills get you through this?

Members don't see this ad.

It might be possible with some extra work. But I think you won't get as much out of the course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using SDN Mobile

The biochemistry I took was almost like a continuation of the organic chemistry class I had taken. Considering how so many people struggled with biochem as it was, I can't imagine how hard it would be without taking orgo first.

I don't know how your school does it, but the instructor must think it is possible if you were given a permission number. From my experience though I think that sounds nearly impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 2 semesters of organic chemistry and learned absolutely nothing..scraped by with 2 C's because the grades were scaled so much. That being said, I made it through biochemistry with no problem. Yes it's alot of work, but I think it depends on what material your instructor presents to you because my biochem class had absolutely NOTHING to do with organic. If the instructor is willing to sign you into the class, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

You don't need either to get into pt school..?? Oh wait I can see this of you are a bio major . I didn't take either for fear lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

Has anyone attempted this? Due to the way my school's courses are offered this summer, Biochemistry is really the only upper division course I can take. I have not taken (and will not have time to take) Organic Chem 1.

I have been given permission from the instructor to enroll without the prereq of O-Chem 1, but is this complete suicide? I would be taking it in the summer, but it would be my only class. Am I doomed without O-Chem, or can memorization and chem skills get you through this?

I honestly cannot recommend you to put yourself through biochem, unless your #1 choice requires it. During the spring of my junior year, my friend and I attempted to take biochem before taking organic and it was extremely difficult. I had to borrow an organic textbook as a reference to better understand what was going on in class. I ended up earning a B, after receiving a lot of help from friends, attending group tutoring sessions, and countless all nighters. If I could do it over again I wouldn't put myself through the frustration.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like success in Biochem without O-Chem is heavily based on how it is presented by the professor, which there's no way I could know until it was too late.

No schools that I am applying to (or even know of) require either, however, several schools that I am applying to require an extra upper division biology/chemistry course on top of everything else. So to anyone who may be reading this and freaking out that O-Chem or Biochem are required for PT school, don't worry, neither are and I'm insane to even entertain this idea.

My only two options for the summer session were General Genetics (only 1 month long.. seriously?!) with a raging biatch of a professor, or Biochemistry 1 over the full 8 weeks with a really nice and reasonable prof.

No idea what I'm gonna do but appreciate the input.

In my Biochemistry class there really was no Organic Chemistry mechanisms involved.

You could find out more about the course in the school catalog. Most schools have them online now (somewhere on their website) that way you know what to look forward to. I took O-chem for two semester and I'm finishing bio-chem now. At my school o-chem and bio-chem don't even overlap. I don't really need o-chem for biochem. Even though i didn't need o-chem, bio-chem itself is a hard course to take. There's a lot to learn and my professor doesn't take anything lightly and isn't flexible. I think you could definitely do it, if the courses don't overlap too much.

I took biochem post-undergrad and it had been 8 years since Id taken organic, so basically like not having it. Hardest, effing class ever!!! And I had a great professor but I still ended up with a big, ugly C in the middle my string of A's, attempting to raise my undergrad GPA. And that was with working my ass off. I say steer clear....go for genetics. Much easier.