1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Biochemistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Awuah29, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Awuah29

Awuah29 Christian predent
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys
    I am just done with all my classes. I can tell you guys, biochemistryis the hardest subject that I ever took. I took my final couple of days ago and I think that I well passed this class with a C. Is it gonna look bad for my dental application. I mean dental school recommand biochemistry so I'm gonna be in better position in dental school compared to other student right? Well, lets hope the best that I DON'T GET a D that means retake of that class. Any thought? I can tell you guys that out of the 3 exams we had the average was always around 65. :scared:
    Any comments?

2. Dentin068

Dentin068 Member
    5+ Year Member

I agree, Biochemistry is a damn difficult subject. Here at my school, the average came out to be a little lower than a C which would be a D+ approx. It is definitely a weeder course. Im guessing quite a few students ended up retaking it over again. :mad:

3. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Expect to pass - think positive.

4. Typo

10+ Year Member

I'm not sure how dental schools will look at your grade, but I imagine it won't look too bad if you have a competitive GPA for the school you're applying to . I do have some words of consolation, however. I got my butt kicked by biochemistry too! I got a D+ the first time I took it, and still got a B- the second time I took it. Take heart! You're not alone. :)

5. jes1ca

jes1ca OP Resident
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, it's a rough class. Don't worry. You can still get into dental school with a C. I've got one of those on my transcript (not from biochem though). You'll be fine. I have a withdraw pass too. That's even worse. I retook the class and got an A- (calc II). Just relax and write some good essays.
    :)
    Jessica

6. gatorfan99

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    C's look ugly but you are still in the game if everything else is OK!

7. spooky42

spooky42 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

how difficult is biochem compared to Organic?

8. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Organic Chemistry is a pre-requisite to Biochemistry.

9. captaintripps

captaintripps Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You shouldn't think of having passed biochemistry as an advantage over your classmates. It is better to consider it as pure preparation for the rest of the basic medical science curriculum. More the better, believe me. I mastered biochemistry before dental school but was still challenged by the approach to the concepts and the exam questions as well.

10. spooky42

spooky42 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks

i look forward to taking it in dental school :scared:

11. ziptree

ziptree DDS
    10+ Year Member

Wanna get a head start? Learn your amino acids, carbohydrates, and nucleotide bases. =)

Biochem is more diverse than Org. Chem, and you spend more time learning a wide range of things, from carbs to DNA synth. and whatnot. I think my Biochem class was rather fun...our lab, which consisted of 3 students, was pretty interesting...especially when things stopped working all of a sudden. =/

12. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, don't worry about it...a C in biochem is nothing. I somehow managed to get a C in first-semester Gen Chem (LMAO), never retook the class, and still got into dental school. So clearly an isolated C need not be a fatal blow to your application.

Just be prepared to explain why you struggled in that particular class, just in case an interviewer asks about it.

13. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Organic chemistry and biochem were my favorite courses in undergrad. They were also courses that I typically did very well in.

But the average in our Biochem courses was pretty low. It was a 47% when I took it. I was down about my 67% in the course, but that got me a B+.

Don't worry about the C in biochemistry. It takes courage to take that class (at many universities), and you'll become more familiar with the material when you revisit it again in the future (in dental school and then again as prep for the Boards).

You'll be just fine, and no adcom will hold that single poor mark against you.

14. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So generally how hard is it compared to Organic Chemistry? I heard it is tough but not as tough as Organic Chemistry.

15. ShawnOne

ShawnOne DDS over DMD
    7+ Year Member

IMO, organic chemistry involves understanding reaction mechanisms (SN1, SN2, E1 etc). Biochemistry involves understanding mechanisms AND memorizing massive amounts of information (eg knowing structures for all metabolic and mechanistic intermediates, enzymes, and co-factors for a pathway along with the reaction mechanisms).

I am spending a lot more time with biochem than o-chem.

16. oms fan

oms fan How I feel everyday...
    5+ Year Member

My B.S is in Biochemistry. I love it. I found O Chem a big pain in the butt. I got a D in 2nd semester ochem and still got into dental school. A C shouldn't kill you if your DAT scores are there. Like has been said...having had biochem will be a great foundation for you in dental school. I found the science courses easy with my background. Don't worry. Just work hard...things will fall into place.

17. Dentin068

Dentin068 Member
    5+ Year Member

Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry are probably the most difficult subjects in Pre-Dental preparation. Atleast I found those to be the hardest.

18. Awuah29

Awuah29 Christian predent
    7+ Year Member

Heh guys,
    I did not fail biochemistry, but got a D. Now with a D I won't graduate. Now my biochem teacher is great and I will never forget what she did. She change my D to inconplete. So I think I can just send in my transcript to the schools. What do you guys think? There will appear only an incomplete in Biochem and I could come up with an explanation. My biochem prof. has offered me to retake the 3 exams that I failed in the spring semester. I can retake them in the summer again . Is it awesome guys. Now I will study my butt up. So there is always hope guys and I can even get a B in Biochem. The funny thing is that her husband is a dentist, so maybe thats why...

what do you guys think?

19. ShawnOne

ShawnOne DDS over DMD
    7+ Year Member

I think you are very lucky.

But I suggest you do her a favor back and dont tell everybody about it.

20. miravyn

miravyn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I got a C once when I took Calculus I at a local community college when I was in high school. I'm guessing we have to send in all our transcripts of all the classes we've taken. Do you guys know if dental schools will overlook this C since I took that dumb class back in high school when I didn't know what I was doing. That C has been traumatizing me forever.

As for Biochemistry, it's very hard! Way harder than Organic Chemistry. But I still think Biology is the toughest subject for me to master. I'm taking Genetics right now and it's kicking my ass.