biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted9493

For those of you who have taken biochemistry and the MCAT, I covet your replies. Here's the deal.
I'm slated to take the April 2003 MCAT. As a result, I want to take a relatively light class load so I can have ample time to study for that. Will taking organic II and biochemistry concurrently be too much? If I go with taking biochemistry, I'll have 12 credits that semester....if I take a few general education classes instead....I'll have 14. Furthermore, will having taken biochemistry help me on the MCAT at all? I appreciate the input any of you might have. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i am also a Biochemistry major. if it would help you or not in MCAT will depend upon how many biology courses you will take in your undergraduate. My degree requires BIO 1, microbiology, and genetics, but i will take Human anatomy and physiology I & II as my science electives. I am pretty sure this much bio is quite enough to cover the MCAT bio section. As far as chemistry is concerned I dont have to talk about that since your are yourself a Biochem major.
Hope that helps.

Originally posted by hudsontc
For those of you who have taken biochemistry and the MCAT, I covet your replies. Here's the deal.
I'm slated to take the April 2003 MCAT. As a result, I want to take a relatively light class load so I can have ample time to study for that. Will taking organic II and biochemistry concurrently be too much? If I go with taking biochemistry, I'll have 12 credits that semester....if I take a few general education classes instead....I'll have 14. Furthermore, will having taken biochemistry help me on the MCAT at all? I appreciate the input any of you might have. Thanks.

Don't do it. Studying alone for the MCATs is hard enough. Orgo II will only make it harder. As far as Biochem goes, it may help (but not a lot). Most likely it will hurt your MCAT scores if you take both of them together. Do yourself a favor and don't take Biochem.

but I'm a junior...and I'll have to take biochemistry next year anyway. If I don't take biochem., I'll have to take like macroeconomics and statistics in its stead....so I can maintain full-time status. If I do take biochem., I'll only have that and organic chem to study for. I will be taking another class that will require a very negligible amount of time. Again, the biochem route is 12 credits...the other route is 14 credits. Even though statistics and macroeconomics aren't even close to being as difficult as biochem., I think they might stretch me too much with "busy work". I'm not taking biochem. to help my MCAT score. It's just that it happens to be 4 credits...it will allow me to remain a full-time student...plus I need it to graduate from the premed program. Thoughts?