bioengineering --> industry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmcsierra

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the feesability of going into an MD/PhD program for bioengineering and then skipping residency and going straight into industry/research?

Also, is there any chance of convincing an adcom to accept you with the intentions of forgoing residency to go straight into research?

I am taking gross anatomy now in undergrad, and what you learn in these medical-related courses I think is incredibly helpful. I don't think that most bioengineering programs allow you to take too many graduate-level bio classes. I think that usually you end up taking like 3 3-credit courses.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by gmcsierra
What is the feesability of going into an MD/PhD program for bioengineering and then skipping residency and going straight into industry/research?

Also, is there any chance of convincing an adcom to accept you with the intentions of forgoing residency to go straight into research?

I am taking gross anatomy now in undergrad, and what you learn in these medical-related courses I think is incredibly helpful. I don't think that most bioengineering programs allow you to take too many graduate-level bio classes. I think that usually you end up taking like 3 3-credit courses.

Thanks

anything's possible, but i think you still have to ask yourself why you want the MD. you can learn a lot of coursework stuff simply by reading text on your own.

Originally posted by Newquagmire
anything's possible, but i think you still have to ask yourself why you want the MD. you can learn a lot of coursework stuff simply by reading text on your own.

Simple. There's a ton of PhD-onlies out there trying to get jobs in industry and it's not easy, especially without extensive post-docing and experience that would make you competitive for academia as well. Getting a MD along with your PhD, even without a residency, makes you very marketable for industry jobs and would probably increase your salary by 2x - 3x.

Now, try convincing the adcoms. I don't think they'll be too keen on the idea, but I've never asked one about this so I don't know what one might say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, it seems like Case Western's Physician Engineer Training Program (PETP) is geared toward training students interested in careers in industry. For more information, go to http://bme.cwru.edu/PETP.

A quote from the program's web site: "We envisage that graduates of the PETP will have a strong interest in the biomedical industrial sector, clinical medicine or in academic positions in biomedical engineering, rather than the traditional MD/PhD career pathway in academic medicine."

so, does anybody have any sort of idea of what the lifestyle would be like for an industrial researcher in this line of work?