Bioethics requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any medical schools that require/strongly recommend a Bioethics course to be taken in undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily, but some schools have a humanities (UA - Phoenix) or social science requirement (U Miami) that allows Bioethics to fulfill their humanities requirement.

though i am sure thta Bioethics will be helpful in preparing for ethics questions during interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen a couple schools that strongly recommend an ethics class. Can't remember where at the moment. None that require it though. Good idea to take one for the sake of interviews. For some reason I have to take 3 medical ethics classes for my major lol

I don't believe so, but it should be (if not a prerequisite, then requisite in med school itself). That, and a touch of formal logic. Both of those are critical and lacking in various fields, but their absence is underscored by the nature of medicine (where ethics and logic are cornerstones to the art and science of medicine). Just a personal thought (and a slight pet peeve). Plus, they're both fun to think about. Take it if you have the opportunity.

Thanks for all the info guys! I have the opportunity to take it as part of a general education requirement, but this semester is already pretty tight for me, and I've heard that the ethics class at my school is not easy (lots of writing, and I'm already taking two writing-intensive classes this fall) :(

I'm going to take another class to fulfill the requirement this fall, and hope to take the bioethics class at a later time! However, I'm also graduating this fall…would it look bad to take an ethics class in the spring as a non-degree seeking student before I apply in June 2016? Or can I indicate that I will be taking such classes in the future (before med school matriculation)?

I really don't want to postpone graduation over an ethics class which isn't even required for my degree…

Ethics is good to have. I've seen it on quite a few "highly recommended" lists.

At my home institution in the fall of 2017 all students will be required to take an ethics course.

At my home institution in the fall of 2017 all students will be required to take an ethics course.

Thanks! Do you mind sharing what institution this is? It's also okay if you don't want to…

It would show maturity and great for answering trick interview questions!