bioinformatics as mstp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CMVpromoter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is it for mstp students to do a PhD in bioinformatics? Is this possible?

I am beginning to develop an interest for this field but all the mstp's I've met are doing basic wet lab research.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how common it is, but it is definitely possible. My school added a bioinformatics track to the MD/PhD program last year, and I'm sure we're not the only program allowing students to go that route.

There was someone in my MSTP class who did her PhD in Bioinformatics. It's out there, though she still did some wet lab work to get data for her project. I would say 95% of MSTPs seem to be doing wet lab research, but it's not something I enjoy doing so I mostly avoided it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm happy to read the OP's question…I'm trying to get perspectives from future and current physicians who are interested in putting computer science and medicine together. The people I've come across who are interested in both fields work in biomedical engineering instead of medicine.

Is a career in research (such as MD/PhD) the most common way to go for someone who wants to have high expertise in both fields? What are other options?

So far, I've come across these ideas:

1) Bioinformatics, which the OP asked about, seems to be one way to go. Examples: Richie Truxillo is a resident (on SDN) who is also pursuing bioinformatics. John D. Halamka is a CIO who is also a practicing Emergency Physician (http://www.blogger.com/profile/04550236129132159307)

2) Another is MRI programming (although I wonder if that's more Electrical Engineering than Computer Science…).

Anyone have any other ideas for how those two fields overlap?

Supposedly Vandy has a very good bioinformatics program (I don't know much about the field) and MSTP students are allowed to get their PhD in bioinformatics. I know a student did it a few years ago, but I don't think it's common. They don't give you as much credit for medical school classes so it takes longer usually.

I'm bumping this because I'm curious.

So, when we talk about bioinformatics are we talking about systems biology also? I'm having a tough time telling the difference between the two.

I think for bioinformatics, and someone tell me if I'm wrong, one of the best programs is at WashU. I also see a program at Hopkins. I'm trying to expand the list (aka: places I'll apply to).

I'm a computer dork at heart.

I'm bumping this because I'm curious.

So, when we talk about bioinformatics are we talking about systems biology also? I'm having a tough time telling the difference between the two.

I think for bioinformatics, and someone tell me if I'm wrong, one of the best programs is at WashU. I also see a program at Hopkins. I'm trying to expand the list (aka: places I'll apply to).

I'm a computer dork at heart.

Don't limit yourself to programs that have "formal" bioinformatics programs. Some absolutely excellent places to do computer biology include UWashington (David Baker's group), UChicago (Sosnick, Dinner, Roux), and UCSF (Sali, Shen) just to name a few of the best. UChicago recently started a pilot bioinformatics program through the CS department, while UCSF came up with something called the IPQB - integrated program in quant. bio. Worth checking some of these places out.

Don't limit yourself to programs that have "formal" bioinformatics programs. Some absolutely excellent places to do computer biology include UWashington (David Baker's group), UChicago (Sosnick, Dinner, Roux), and UCSF (Sali, Shen) just to name a few of the best. UChicago recently started a pilot bioinformatics program through the CS department, while UCSF came up with something called the IPQB - integrated program in quant. bio. Worth checking some of these places out.

I have quite a few friends who are doing MD/PhD's in bioinformatics at a number of different schools (Gerogia Tech, BCM, Case Western).

At least anecdotaly, they tell me they think they will graduate faster because they don't have to "wait for data." They say that is the trend. Additionally, one of my friends just does his work from home, the coffee shop, wherever and just checks in with his PI once a week and goes to lab meetings, J-clubs, etc. So I think there are some things about doing a computational PhD that make it a little different and maybe for some people more enjoyable than a traditional wet-lab project.

Also, keep in mind that lots of different departments at most major medical research institutions have people doing bioinformatics research -- namely bioengineering, genetics, biophysics, and structural biology. Just because the program isn't called "Bioinformatics" doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of people doing that work.

In short, bioinformatics is any application of computers/statistics in the study of all things that move and reproduce or at least try to. System biologists use bioinformatics tools to explain emergent, robust and modular aspects in [usually] molecular biology [and also evolution, ecology and other crazybodaisy fields]. Neither is a subset of the other, in c++ speak you might say they're friends.

Explained by people much smarter than me--
1. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2005.04.020
Cell. Volume 121, Issue 4, 20 May 2005, Pages 511-513

2. Science 1 March 2002:
Vol. 295. no. 5560, pp. 1662 - 1664
DOI: 10.1126/science.1069492

I have quite a few friends who are doing MD/PhD's in bioinformatics at a number of different schools (Gerogia Tech, BCM, Case Western).

At least anecdotaly, they tell me they think they will graduate faster because they don't have to "wait for data." They say that is the trend. Additionally, one of my friends just does his work from home, the coffee shop, wherever and just checks in with his PI once a week and goes to lab meetings, J-clubs, etc. So I think there are some things about doing a computational PhD that make it a little different and maybe for some people more enjoyable than a traditional wet-lab project.

Also, keep in mind that lots of different departments at most major medical research institutions have people doing bioinformatics research -- namely bioengineering, genetics, biophysics, and structural biology. Just because the program isn't called "Bioinformatics" doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of people doing that work.

i think the time it takes one to graduate with a bioinformatics phd is indeed faster than most other phds, but if someone is really interested in obtaining research "experience" (i.e. doing westerns, running gels, working with cells, etc) then bioinformatics might not be the most wise choice. eventually, you may very well have to learn how to perfect those techniques, and the time to do so is not trivial. i did a whole bunch of comp. bio as an undergrad and i've since realized that i'm way behind in terms of lab skills than my peers. if you know that your life goal is to conduct computational research, then bioinformatics is right up your alley... but if you want to do some kind of mix of computer work and lab work, then any number of phd's (especially the ones you named) would work better. just my two abraham lincolns.

So it seems that the definition of bioinformatics doesn't include making mathematical models (not statistical models, but more like differential equations) of biological phenomena? Or does it?

On a side note, how important do you think this applying math to biology to create models is? Does it contribute much? Where can I read more about this?

Thank you

So it seems that the definition of bioinformatics doesn't include making mathematical models (not statistical models, but more like differential equations) of biological phenomena? Or does it?

On a side note, how important do you think this applying math to biology to create models is? Does it contribute much? Where can I read more about this?

Thank you

So it's not that simple right...you can have diffeq models, but to find the parameters for these models you need statistical methods, like maximum likelihood, etc. On the other hand, many statistical models (i.e. Fokker-Planck formalism) have diffeq origins. in science it's usually not useful to just divide things into labels.

You have a lot to learn, and these questions are not explainable in one or two sentences. I suggest you talk to the faculties in bioinformatics and see what they have to say.