WAMC/MSTP School List Reapplicant/Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mariokart224455

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, thank you so much in advance for taking a look at this. I was told to ask this here, and any advice on my school list or reapplication outlook is greatly appreciated. I will have 4 gap years if I matriculate in this next cycle; I last applied in the 2024-25 cycle.

cGPA: 3.79
sGPA: 3.87

MCAT:
  • I retook it recently as it expired for some programs. I am worried how much this will limit me and am unsure how this same score will be received. Should I take it again?
  • 2022: 515 (132/124/130/129)
  • 2026: 515 (130/125/130/130)

Not a minority or low SES, or disadvantaged; B.S. from a T30-40ish undergrad
Research Experience:

  • I will have roughly 10,000 hours of wet lab experience at the time of application, completed over 5.5 years in 3 labs (2.5yr; 1 lab in college and 3yr; 2 labs postgrad). Both labs I have been a part of since graduating are high profile translational oncology, and productive at T5 institutions.
  • I volunteer at 2 other labs (one last fall and another just started to last the next 18 months). This is to broaden my skill set and work with fantastic scientists/physician-scientists. These is also in oncology (proteomics and cellular therapeutics, respectively)
  • I will have 4-5 publications as co-author in high IF journals (1 third author; 3 fourth-fifth author; 1-2 middle author). I was fully independent with my own project in my first postgrad lab before passing it off to a postdoc when I left. In my current lab, I also have a project that I am leading, but this will not be ready for submission during this upcoming cycle.
  • I am thinking about writing a short review (although I doubt it would be submitted by May). There should also be 1-2 more co-authorship (middle author) manuscripts submitted/maybe published during this upcoming cycle period.
  • I have three poster presentations (2 at undergrad; 1 postgrad); several smaller lab presentations.
Research Interests:

I definitely gravitate towards the field of oncology, and have an interest in pursuing a PhD in molecular biology/genetics. I am also interested in cellular therapeutics as it relates to cancer and regenerative medicine.

Non-research experience:
  • ~600hr non-clinical volunteering (weekly crisis hotline shift for 2.5yr; foodbank; after school tutor)
  • ~200hr clinical volunteering (hospice; central transport at hospital)
  • 125hr shadowing, mainly in oncology and related. Recently some in the ER to differentiate.

LOR:
  • I have a committee letter with high rec from my last app, but my committee will not update it with new letters. I plan to have 2-3 new letters and some updated ones this time around, and I think its a good idea to forgo to committee letter to include these. What do you think about this?
Current (unfinished) school list:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
Brown University Warren Alpert Medical School
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Cornell/Rockefeller/Sloan Kettering Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program
Duke University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston McGovern Medical School
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
University of Virginia School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
Yale School of Medicine



I would love to hear what you guys think, and if you have any insights as to how my application will be received given its pitfalls. Thank you!
 
Last edited:
I retook it recently as it expired for some programs. I am worried how much this will limit me and am unsure how this same score will be received. Should I take it again?
Read

Whose letters were part of your last committee letter?
 
Hi, because of the MCAT, I would suggest rounding out your school list with 7-8 mid tier programs (think T30-T70), would recommend dropping Brown since they are quite low yield.