Biol q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mepstein

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't know why i can't get through this, big ass brain fart.....

"9% of the population are homozygous recessive, what percent of the population is heterozygous?"

thanks,

dudes and dudettes

Members don't see this ad.

mepstein said:
Don't know why i can't get through this, big ass brain fart.....

"9% of the population are homozygous recessive, what percent of the population is heterozygous?"

thanks,

dudes and dudettes

okay...this is a simple hardy-weinburg equation. which is p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1 (p^2 = homozygous dominant. 2pq = heterozygous. q^2 = homozygous recessive). and p + q = 1

take the square root of 0.09 and get 0.3. then take 1 - 0.3 = 0.7. then plug it the hardy-weinburg equation section for heterozygotes. 2pq.

2(0.3)(0.7) = 0.42

can someone check my math for me?

thanks. :D

so barrons' was wrong, they really do have a lot of problems in there
42 isnt even an option, i didnt think i was that dumb

thanks

mepstein said:
so barrons' was wrong, they really do have a lot of problems in there
42 isnt even an option, i didnt think i was that dumb

thanks

yeah...barron's has a TON of mistakes. i had to go through the gen chem section and check it all by hand with a couple of chem majors. it turned out that there were like 7 wrong answers.

it's knid of scary that the book has so many mistakes! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
beannaithe said:
yeah...barron's has a TON of mistakes. i had to go through the gen chem section and check it all by hand with a couple of chem majors. it turned out that there were like 7 wrong answers.

it's knid of scary that the book has so many mistakes! :smuggrin:

since youve used the book, could you please list the numbers of the problems that are wrong in the barrons book. I would really appreciate it and i'm sure it would help everyone else too. Thanks

Tooth Fixer said:
since youve used the book, could you please list the numbers of the problems that are wrong in the barrons book. I would really appreciate it and i'm sure it would help everyone else too. Thanks

sure, i'll list it in a seperate thread