Biological Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

accidental

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on biological materials as opposed to silver amalgam? I just started reading about it and I am curious if any of this is covered in dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

what do you mean exactly by biological materials? Every time I've come across the term "biological dentistry" it has been a code-word for pseudo-science quackery.

I worked in an office here in AZ for 2 years that had a Biological Holistic Dentist in the same building. I spoke with him often about his beliefs, ideas and theories regarding not only amalgam fillings, but also root canals. Whenever he would remove amalgam (silver) fillings, he would use an IV and gas masks. Totally weird. He was an extremist and an activist with regards to his theory on the danger of the mercury of the amalgam fillings and the potentially harmful effects of doing a root canal. He would just pull the teeth, rather than do a root canal, and make a fixed bridge.

I believe he is one of about 6 dentists in the Phoenix metro area that practice this. All I can say is that his patients were wackos and he had a lawyer on hand everyday due to the lawsuit that have been filed against him. Essentially, what he practices is not in accordance with the dental board.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked with a biologic dentist for a while. But he wasn't "extreme" like some are. He just did the amalgam removal but he ref. root canals all the time. The only "wierd" thing he did was use a darkfield microscope in hygiene and look for spirochete bacteria. If they were present, he would prescribe these herbs to clear them up. I wanted to shake people that were coming in to get perfectly fine amalgams out to replace them with resin. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ wasted! Oh well. To each their own, right?

Are these guys licensed dentists? Ummm, that violates the code of ethics set forth by the ADA, and these guys should seriously be fined and repremanded for their practices.

Of course they are licensed. Why should they be fined? Just curious. I don't agree with taking out perfectly healthy amalgams, but I don't see why a Dr should get fined if they do?? Please clarify.

because they are holding themselves out as experts in their field and are ethically obligated to only perform needed/reasonable treatment. Instead "biological" dentists scare their patients with lies about how mercury is poisoning their bodies and endodontically treated are destroying every natural defense system their body has - all so they can make a quick buck.

Oh. Ok. I see. Makes sense spongy! :) All I know is the biological dentist I worked for (for a just a bit) was kind of on the kookie side. :scared: