1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Biology... Enzyme

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by allard6, Aug 10, 2011.

1. allard6

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Time (s) Product (g)
    0 0.0
    20 0.25
    40 0.50
    60 0.70
    80 0.80
    100 0.85
    120 0.85

Q: Why is there no increase in product after 100 sec?

A from the Book: There is no increase because all the enzymes are saturated
    and are already catalyzing reactions as fast as they can.

My question: why can't you say that there is no increase because all the substrates have been used up? If there was not enough substrate to react with the enzyme after 100 sec, wouldn't the reaction rate remain constant as well?

please let me know. Thank you in advance! :p

-----
    Additional Question

Q: What would happen if you added only more enzyme after 100 sec?
    A from the book: The reaction rate would increase until the enzyme, once again, becomes saturated.

Q: What would happen if you added only more substrate after 100 sec?
    A from the book: Nothing

I assumed that there was not enough substrate and an excess amount of enzyme present in above reaction. In this case, wouldn't the reaction proceed and form more products when more substrate is added, while adding more enzymes do nothing?

#1 allard6, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. recyrb

if it was used up like broken down into a new form the product would decrease, but what you are saying is the same thing that the answer does, just in a different way... all used up means all saturated