Biology for OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gialuan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 2nd year undergrad and I'm taking bio 1. I've done some research and I've noticed most schools don't require bio (Downstate only requires you to take 1 semester of bio). I'm thinking about whether or not I should take bio 2. In all honesty, I'd like to avoid bio 2 since I will have the same prof and she has put me (and my fellow classmates) through hell this semester. If anyone wanted to know, I'm taking Dr.Allaie at Hunter college.

Is bio 2 important for OT school? I plan on taking Anatomy and Physiology my junior year and bio is not a pre-req for it.

Would it be ok if I didn't take the class, but studied the other half of bio on my own?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a 2nd year undergrad and I'm taking bio 1. I've done some research and I've noticed most schools don't require bio (Downstate only requires you to take 1 semester of bio). I'm thinking about whether or not I should take bio 2. In all honesty, I'd like to avoid bio 2 since I will have the same prof and she has put me (and my fellow classmates) through hell this semester. If anyone wanted to know, I'm taking Dr.Allaie at Hunter college.

Is bio 2 important for OT school? I plan on taking Anatomy and Physiology my junior year and bio is not a pre-req for it.

Would it be ok if I didn't take the class, but studied the other half of bio on my own?

I am not sure what kind of program you want to apply to, there are two kinds of programs for OT. If you want to go to downstate you need to get a Bachelors degree for you to enter the program. But if you are a sophmore and you want to do OT straight away, I suggest not wasting you time with going through the pain of a Bachelors and apply to a combined degree program. York college CUNY has one and you dont need to take A&P to get into the program. you can PM me for more information.

Mercy, SUNY SB, NYU are a few schools that require 8 credits of chem, bio, and physics, as I recall.

York has issues looking at some of my classes that came from a private school. Definintely attempt it, the price is right.

Doesn't hunter have another bio teacher? It might be worth taking it in the evening to get a part-time teacher, somtimes they walk to the beat of their own drum.

When I was looking at schools I made a big excel sheet of schools, organized by those who had the most pre-reqs to the least ... This is half the problem w/ OT education is that it's so unstandardized.

If you rule out york, then you probably need to take A&P, and schools may require cadaver, which Mercy offers on the weekend among other times.
Good Luck