BIOLOGY HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potential22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone my DAT is in 2 months and I am freaking out since I realized there is an enormous amount of info in the bio section, any advice on what is an effective way of grasping those concepts within a month, i would really appreciate any help

Members don't see this ad.

Campbell bio (read like 10 chapters or more), DAT Destroyer (finish bio problems and read all explanations) Cliffs AP Bio.
Ok so considering that you got 2 months (less than me) I would say spend more time on cliffs than campbell. As for the destroyer the money is where the answer explanations are. You get so much from those explanations you have no idea!

Um if you can finish cliffs ap, read Campbell's bio (select 10 chapters), and do all bio destroyer you will be good. I have heard from my friends that problems in the destroyer tend to show up on the DAT quite frequently!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I'd recommend Cliffs AP Bio. Also, in case it's not evident, bio is a section in which "background knowledge" helps a lot. As an example, I once worked in this lab where I took care of these adorable little stem cells. As a result, I had quite a bit of background knowledge in the area of induced differentiation (in particular, the cells we used were human induced pluripotent stem cells). Thus, if I a question comes up asking something like "what is the effect of compound X on differentiation?" or something, it might be easier for someone with random experience in that area to answer!

But on to what I was going to write: one of the methods I've long used for memorizing massive quantities of information in the bio courses I take in school is something I made up called the "two steps forward, one step back" method. Here's how I used it:

Pretend I'm reading the "Animal Form and Function" chapter in Cliffs;

1. I will read through a subsection, like the steps in the firing of action potentials in a neuron.
2. I will then proceed to the next subsection, in this case, the "sliding filament model" of muscles and read through that just like in step 1.
3. Now, I will, without looking at the neuron section, attempt to describe, out loud, like I have an invisible friend next to me, the entire process of a neuron firing. This is the most painful step.
4. I will then either proceed to another subsection and then later repeat step 3 except with the sliding filament model or just attempt the sliding filament model then and there.

The basic premise of this is that you are not immediately regurgitating a concept you have just reviewed. Instead, you are allowing yourself to forget in order to challenge and force your brain to remember. This is a very, very painful thing to do! But remain calm and know that pain is part of the process; as we continue on to a third subsection and a fourth, continue to come back now and then (but less often) to the first and second subsections; as you return again and again to the "action potentials" concept and, while not looking at the book, attempt to outline it aloud, I guarantee you will feel yourself very noticeably gaining mastery. This is a wonderful feeling and makes the pain all worth it!

The vocalization of the concept helps me; I don't know if it helps all other people, but I have a difficult time memorizing stuff just from reading it. Also, this method can be applied to rote terms, not just concepts, in which we use flashcards (which work well with terms and definitions) and make various decks, one that we peruse often and one that we store or whatever. However, the principle is the same; we are challenging ourselves with the information we know least and forcing ourselves to remember it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was able to score 28 using Ferali's notes only. Almost everything you need to know is there.

Use Feralis, Destroyer and Cliffs. If you have time, use Cambells. Cambells is great and very detailed, but if you are pressed for time, go through the questions in the Destroyer and look at Feralis and cliffs for explanations.

Reactions: 1 user