Biology on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonwalk44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently studying for the DAT and every section I feel like I can get a grip on, except Biology. I majored in biology but I feel like the breadth of the material is pretty rigorous. Anyone else feel like they were at the "darkest part of the tunnel" for any of the sections?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, biology was my downfall as well. There is just so much that wasn't covered in my gen bio classes... Oh well.

Reactions: 1 user
The struggle is real. Every time I try to open cliff's, I get intimidated by all the genitalia-like looking structures and close the book immediately.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I scored well in biology (20+) here's my advice. Whether you choose to accept it or not, up to you.

1) Purchase Qvault Bio (best thing I have ever done)
2) Take the exams (at least once, maybe twice)
3) Review the questions you got wrong first, however, know every multiple choice answer.
4) So what I did was for every question I got wrong I looked at not the explanation first but looked up every term on wikipedia or other resource and 'learned' it. Even if it seemed stupid. My knowledge in biology just expanded.
5) Then the ones I did get right, I went through those, went through the answer choices that were wrong and understood why they were wrong.
6) Had a notebook and in the last week coming up to the exam, I studied that notebook and continued taking tests to see if I could get the wrong questions, right this time using my knowledge, not rogue memorization.

Hope that makes sense!

Reactions: 3 users
I scored well in biology (20+) here's my advice. Whether you choose to accept it or not, up to you.

1) Purchase Qvault Bio (best thing I have ever done)
2) Take the exams (at least once, maybe twice)
3) Review the questions you got wrong first, however, know every multiple choice answer.
4) So what I did was for every question I got wrong I looked at not the explanation first but looked up every term on wikipedia or other resource and 'learned' it. Even if it seemed stupid. My knowledge in biology just expanded.
5) Then the ones I did get right, I went through those, went through the answer choices that were wrong and understood why they were wrong.
6) Had a notebook and in the last week coming up to the exam, I studied that notebook and continued taking tests to see if I could get the wrong questions, right this time using my knowledge, not rogue memorization.

Hope that makes sense!

I will absolutely look into qvault. I would love any recommendations! 20+ is an awesome score

Yeah bio was my worst section too. TBH I didn't study it more than any of the other DAT sections and I got asked some weird stuff like geologic time periods. Worst part is one school even asked my why my bio score and biology GPA sucked (well, he was more like "can you explain to me why bio was your weakest section?")

However, the schools that see your passion for dentistry, maturity, and work ethic will not dwell on that. Maintain above 17 on all the sections and you should be fine.

Thank you so much for your comment on
My post!! Have you been accepted/interviewed? If so how were your stats if you don't mind me asking!

The bio section can be a struggle, it has by far the most material to cover than any other section and there's a lot to remember. Once you've gone through the material at least once it starts to feel a lot more manageable as you get a feel for what's more critical and how much you'll need to review it to get it all to stick. How early in your biology prep are you, and what kind of review are you doing?

I was doing so so so bad on bio up till way too close to the DAT. Got Qvault. It was amazing. whatever I got wrong, I would study and watch videos (visual/auditory learner).

I will absolutely look into qvault. I would love any recommendations! 20+ is an awesome score

I got a 26 on bio. Here is my advice:

Bio was easily my worst section going into studying. I felt like a knew so little compared to everything that was covered. Especially plants. I knew nothing about plants. The only bio classes I've taken are bio 101 and anatomy, and my bio 101 professor skipped the section on plants. I also took biochem, but that was under the chem department, so not sure if that counts. So what I'm getting at is I did not have a very strong bio background.

I read a ton of stuff trying to figure out how people prepared for the bio section and the majority of them said that all the info from Cliff's AP Bio (3rd Edition) and Feralis notes were the key to success. So first I just read through all of Cliff's and then I read through all of Feralis notes while highlighting and stuff. Then I went through Feralis notes again and tried to memorize stuff as I read. After having gone through all of Cliff's once and Feralis twice, you'd expect to have a decent grasp already. This was not the case for me. I still felt like I knew absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing was clicking for me. At this point I was getting pretty frustrated as well as nervous since I felt like I was pretty much doomed for this section.

I decided to go a different route that nobody else had ever mentioned before. I went straight to youtube. I knew that having a general background and understanding of the basic concepts was most important before starting to memorize stuff, so that's what my goal was. I didn't take any notes or anything; I just tried to watch and absorb the content so I had a general understanding. I watched videos in order of the way Feralis notes were laid out (usually there was a video for each bold heading, with a video for every sub heading in the anatomy section). I mainly watched Bozeman science videos (very good) and Crash course bio videos (also very good info, while the guy seems kind of immature and too try hard, it has good info). So from those two channels, I was able to get a very good general understanding of it all. For what those two did not cover, I went to Khan Academy (especially for the excretory system and kidneys and all that jazz). I would use Khan academy to supplement what you don't understand or want more detail about from the bozeman and crash course videos.

After watching these, I started to feel a little better. So I took a practice test on bootcamp and did terribly. Everything about the bio section in the destroyer book scared me to death. There were sooo many questions. I had originally planned on just going through Feralis notes again, but had a phone call with Nancy one night (who helped write Destroyer), and she basically told me that if I wanted to do well on bio then I needed to master the bio section of the destroyer. There was no other way to do it in her mind (and now I agree). So in the span of I think 6 days, I went through all of the bio destroyer for the first time. I did 100 questions a day. I would do each question and then on notebook paper write out literally all the info from that question (and the solution to that question from the back) in note form. Every. Single. Question. In. The. Entire. Book. I probably have over 40 pages of handwritten notes So that took five days and then I thought I felt so much better about the bio section again. So I took another practice test and did terribly. I knew I was getting better though. I just felt like I was getting the stuff. The next time I went through destroyer, I would do 20 questions at a time and then score myself. Out of all 500+ questions, I think my best score was 19/20 and my worst was 11/20. After each set of 20, I would go through the questions and make a notecard for every little piece of information I didn't know. Seriously. It takes a long time but it definitely paid off. Make a notecard for it all. I probably had 3-400 bio notecards (I included more than one piece of info on notecards sometimes and some of the questions in destroyer are repetitive).

Then dedicate your time to going through the notecards. The first time I went through, I separated them into three piles: a pile of cards I knew extremely well and had no questions on, a pile I kinda knew or had an idea about but was not confident, and a pile for things I'd literally never heard of. The pile for things I knew really well had about 14 cards in it. Go through the cards every single day and eventually when you separate into three piles again, you'll feel so much more confident when you see how many are in your pile of cards you know. Then once you start to know these, take another bootcamp test; you'll see how much your hard work is paying off. I believe that if you know all of your notecards as well as all the explanations for information that shows up on the bootcamp bio problems that weren't covered in destroyer, you will be well prepared to score successfully on the DAT bio section. Seriously, make sure you know all the info in all the bootcamp bio explanations. It's just as important as the Destroyer info. If you need to make more notecards for those as well, do so.

Overall, I think if you just memorize everything (I know it’s daunting but you can do it) in DAT Destroyer and then also all the explanations on things you miss from the bootcamp tests, that’s all you need to do do crush bio. If I went and did it again I would probably just do this and skip all of the cliff’s ap bio notes and feralis notes and probably most youtube videos too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Yeah bio was my worst section too. TBH I didn't study it more than any of the other DAT sections and I got asked some weird stuff like geologic time periods. Worst part is one school even asked my why my bio score and biology GPA sucked (well, he was more like "can you explain to me why bio was your weakest section?")

However, the schools that see your passion for dentistry, maturity, and work ethic will not dwell on that. Maintain above 17 on all the sections and you should be fine.
My bad I didn't mean to quote you the first time. Meant to quote @moonwalk44

I got a 26 on bio. Here is my advice:

Bio was easily my worst section going into studying. I felt like a knew so little compared to everything that was covered. Especially plants. I knew nothing about plants. The only bio classes I've taken are bio 101 and anatomy, and my bio 101 professor skipped the section on plants. I also took biochem, but that was under the chem department, so not sure if that counts. So what I'm getting at is I did not have a very strong bio background.

I read a ton of stuff trying to figure out how people prepared for the bio section and the majority of them said that all the info from Cliff's AP Bio (3rd Edition) and Feralis notes were the key to success. So first I just read through all of Cliff's and then I read through all of Feralis notes while highlighting and stuff. Then I went through Feralis notes again and tried to memorize stuff as I read. After having gone through all of Cliff's once and Feralis twice, you'd expect to have a decent grasp already. This was not the case for me. I still felt like I knew absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing was clicking for me. At this point I was getting pretty frustrated as well as nervous since I felt like I was pretty much doomed for this section.

I decided to go a different route that nobody else had ever mentioned before. I went straight to youtube. I knew that having a general background and understanding of the basic concepts was most important before starting to memorize stuff, so that's what my goal was. I didn't take any notes or anything; I just tried to watch and absorb the content so I had a general understanding. I watched videos in order of the way Feralis notes were laid out (usually there was a video for each bold heading, with a video for every sub heading in the anatomy section). I mainly watched Bozeman science videos (very good) and Crash course bio videos (also very good info, while the guy seems kind of immature and too try hard, it has good info). So from those two channels, I was able to get a very good general understanding of it all. For what those two did not cover, I went to Khan Academy (especially for the excretory system and kidneys and all that jazz). I would use Khan academy to supplement what you don't understand or want more detail about from the bozeman and crash course videos.

After watching these, I started to feel a little better. So I took a practice test on bootcamp and did terribly. Everything about the bio section in the destroyer book scared me to death. There were sooo many questions. I had originally planned on just going through Feralis notes again, but had a phone call with Nancy one night (who helped write Destroyer), and she basically told me that if I wanted to do well on bio then I needed to master the bio section of the destroyer. There was no other way to do it in her mind (and now I agree). So in the span of I think 6 days, I went through all of the bio destroyer for the first time. I did 100 questions a day. I would do each question and then on notebook paper write out literally all the info from that question (and the solution to that question from the back) in note form. Every. Single. Question. In. The. Entire. Book. I probably have over 40 pages of handwritten notes So that took five days and then I thought I felt so much better about the bio section again. So I took another practice test and did terribly. I knew I was getting better though. I just felt like I was getting the stuff. The next time I went through destroyer, I would do 20 questions at a time and then score myself. Out of all 500+ questions, I think my best score was 19/20 and my worst was 11/20. After each set of 20, I would go through the questions and make a notecard for every little piece of information I didn't know. Seriously. It takes a long time but it definitely paid off. Make a notecard for it all. I probably had 3-400 bio notecards (I included more than one piece of info on notecards sometimes and some of the questions in destroyer are repetitive).

Then dedicate your time to going through the notecards. The first time I went through, I separated them into three piles: a pile of cards I knew extremely well and had no questions on, a pile I kinda knew or had an idea about but was not confident, and a pile for things I'd literally never heard of. The pile for things I knew really well had about 14 cards in it. Go through the cards every single day and eventually when you separate into three piles again, you'll feel so much more confident when you see how many are in your pile of cards you know. Then once you start to know these, take another bootcamp test; you'll see how much your hard work is paying off. I believe that if you know all of your notecards as well as all the explanations for information that shows up on the bootcamp bio problems that weren't covered in destroyer, you will be well prepared to score successfully on the DAT bio section. Seriously, make sure you know all the info in all the bootcamp bio explanations. It's just as important as the Destroyer info. If you need to make more notecards for those as well, do so.

Overall, I think if you just memorize everything (I know it’s daunting but you can do it) in DAT Destroyer and then also all the explanations on things you miss from the bootcamp tests, that’s all you need to do do crush bio. If I went and did it again I would probably just do this and skip all of the cliff’s ap bio notes and feralis notes and probably most youtube videos too.

How long did it take you to watch the videos? Did you use Ferralis notes to review each section you watched the day before? HOw long did you study for the DAT?

How long did it take you to watch the videos? Did you use Ferralis notes to review each section you watched the day before? HOw long did you study for the DAT?
1. Probably about 3 weeks.
2. I don't think I did.
3. Total study time was about 3 months.

I got a 23 on biology and I really struggled with the section when first studying.

I did not like cliff AP book. I felt it was really dry and boring, so I wasn't able to focus when reading it.

I instead using Cracking the DAT by Princeton. I felt it covered everything well, except for body systems, plants, and taxonomy.

I used cliffs AP + Feralis notes for plants and taxonomy, and had to refer back to my biology notes for body systems.

I also used DAT boot camp, and reviewed the solutions for each exam 3 times before my real exam. There were a lot of seemingly random concepts tested on bootcamp that I did not encounter while studying, but some DID show up on real exam. I would go over every bootcamp solution, even wrong answer choices and google them if you have time

thank you for this seriously gonna do that now, how lond did it take you to do all of that? i have 5 and a half weeks until my exam, but all i have left to review is bio
If all you have to do is bio, then I think that's plenty of time. It took me 5 days (about 8-10 hours a day) to go through the entire bio section the first time, then probably another 3-5 to go through it again and make all the flash cards. Then once you have those, you can start going through the flash cards daily. Probably took me about 3-6 hours to go through the flash cards every day.

You won't learn this stuff in a day. It's all about repetition and doing it over and over again until it is familiar to you.

Good luck

How come no one wants to use quizlet? There are hundreds of flashcard sets that people have made from all these other sources AND THEY ARE FREE. Obviously I did destroyer/bootcamp and I read through Cliffs AP, but seriously, quizlet made the biggest difference

**edit**
I got a 21 BIO

How come no one wants to use quizlet? There are hundreds of flashcard sets that people have made from all these other sources AND THEY ARE FREE.
I tried Quizlet because I think it's really important to test memorization and retention instead of just reading! Cliffs AP has all the info you need to know, but it's not going to magically stay in your mind. Gotta test yourself daily to make sure you're carrying that knowledge with you. My issue with Quizlet is that it's hard to find really quality decks. I prefer ASDA's flashcard app, because it's written by people who scored 22+ on their DAT, and it's been edited by pros. Makes me feel safer to know I'm studying quality/more professional info. And it's less than $10/month...not quite as good as free though, haha.

I used to be a fan of quizlet, until I found anki. Sure, making your own cards takes time, but having the ability to add diagrams that help YOU remember the concept is crucial. Also, I think writing concepts in your own words really facilitates your understanding. Bio was my best section because I took the time to make and study my own notes / flash-cards.

I am currently studying for the DAT and every section I feel like I can get a grip on, except Biology. I majored in biology but I feel like the breadth of the material is pretty rigorous. Anyone else feel like they were at the "darkest part of the tunnel" for any of the sections?

When are you applying?

I
How come no one wants to use quizlet? There are hundreds of flashcard sets that people have made from all these other sources AND THEY ARE FREE. Obviously I did destroyer/bootcamp and I read through Cliffs AP, but seriously, quizlet made the biggest difference

**edit**
I got a 21 BIO

I compiled a huge list of cards on quizlets made by other people. I think they are very helpful, but I'll focus more on them when I finish CLiff.

I got a 23 on biology and I really struggled with the section when first studying.

I did not like cliff AP book. I felt it was really dry and boring, so I wasn't able to focus when reading it.

I instead using Cracking the DAT by Princeton. I felt it covered everything well, except for body systems, plants, and taxonomy.

I used cliffs AP + Feralis notes for plants and taxonomy, and had to refer back to my biology notes for body systems.

I also used DAT boot camp, and reviewed the solutions for each exam 3 times before my real exam. There were a lot of seemingly random concepts tested on bootcamp that I did not encounter while studying, but some DID show up on real exam. I would go over every bootcamp solution, even wrong answer choices and google them if you have time
Taxonomy, evolution, ecology and behavior and genetics. Are my weak areas this week. How did you nail these particularly taxonomy. I just hate taxonomy but those questions will get you on the DAT.

Thank you!

Taxonomy, evolution, ecology and behavior and genetics. Are my weak areas this week. How did you nail these particularly taxonomy. I just hate taxonomy but those questions will get you on the DAT.

Thank you!

Well I just tried to expose myself to as much of it as possible. My biology section on real Dat had no ecology, which I felt was my weakest section. I did have 3 taxonomy questions though