Biology options for summer 2013 Boston

Started by misterd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

misterd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm looking to take Bio this summer in Boston. The Harvard Extensions post-back advisor suggested not to take Bio at Harvard (it's very difficult and too condensed)

I'm wondering what the non-community college programs in Boston are, preferably the easier the better. I heard UMass Boston might be an option.

Also, I'd even consider moving to NYC if there are options there..

Thanks
David
 
Not sure about Boston, but you can look into the CUNY schools in NYC. I'm sure one of them will offer summer bio-- maybe Hunter College?
 
Hi,

I'm looking to take Bio this summer in Boston. The Harvard Extensions post-back advisor suggested not to take Bio at Harvard (it's very difficult and too condensed)

I'm wondering what the non-community college programs in Boston are, preferably the easier the better. I heard UMass Boston might be an option.

Also, I'd even consider moving to NYC if there are options there..

Thanks
David

I was at one point considering taking summer Bio2 at UMass Boston, but decided to stick it out for spring Bio2 at Harvard Ext since I took the first part there.

The Pros are that UMass is cheaper, less condensed, and ostensibly easier than Harvard's summer Bio.

The main downside is that it could be less rigorous. Of course, getting an A is top priority, but you also want to be prepared well for the MCAT, etc. Adcoms probably don't care if you take one "easier" course at UMass and get an A, but they will care if you don't do well on the Bio MCAT.

Also, beware that Stark/Gazda got favorable reviews on ratemyprof, while Martin got terrible reviews. So if you do it, I'd go with the Stark/Gazda combo. I think this means switching between morning and evening times.