Biology or Psychology Major???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cvpmvp33

hello all,
I am still confused on what to major in. I will be a junior and am currently a psychology major with a minor in Bio. But i was thinking about to just switch to Biology as a major. However, I do need to raise my g.p.a a bit so i thought doing a psychology major would be better to raise my g.p.a, and just take microbio, cell bio, genetics, biochemistry, and anatomy and physiology on the side. What do you guys think????

Members don't see this ad.

cvpmvp33 said:
hello all,
I am still confused on what to major in. I will be a junior and am currently a psychology major with a minor in Bio. But i was thinking about to just switch to Biology as a major. However, I do need to raise my g.p.a a bit so i thought doing a psychology major would be better to raise my g.p.a, and just take microbio, cell bio, genetics, biochemistry, and anatomy and physiology on the side. What do you guys think????

I was a double major in Psych and English and it worked out great for me. Personally I think it is beneficial to know more than just the sciences and it really won't hurt your chances of being accepted if you perform well in the pre-reqs.

cvpmvp33 said:
hello all,

I think that you have to ask yourself several question here.

(1) Which major do you enjoy the most?
(2) Which major do you perform the best in?
(3) If you didn't get into medical school, which major would allow you to best find a job?

I think that if you answer these questions honestly you will make the right decision. I minored in Psychology and absolutely loved it. However, a B.S. in psychology doesn't really do much for you without grad school. However, if for some reason you didn't get into med school (and I think that you will), but if you didn't, you could more easily find a job with a degree in Biology. However, Biology is much more challening. Just go with your gut.

Members don't see this ad :)
cvpmvp33 said:
hello all,
One additional consideration which is important to take note of is the fact that in many psychology courses, you will find far more subjectivity than in biology courses. This is something I despise because I like clearly defined lines when it comes to grading. Yes, the biology courses will be tougher but please realize if you don't do well as a biology major, you will struggle when the quantity of information being thrown at you makes you feel like you are chugging water from a fire hydrant. The humanities and social sciences are very important, however, so if you feel more inclined toward psychology, I say go for it. Even though biology is more practical preparation, it probably isn't as fun as majoring in psychology.

Good Luck,

AZPOD Rocks

I majored in both Biology and Psychology. I find they work great together. However, I would choose biology for the major and psychology for the minor if you have to choose between them.

Between the two, pick the major you think you'll enjoy the most. Then you won't have any regrets in the end :thumbup: Both will work perfectly fine towards med school as long as you keep your gpa up in whichever one you do.