Biology Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds_2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I found some questions from my biology II class. For those who have already taken the DAT, are they too easy? Unfortunately, I lost the answer key so I will put up my answers please let me know if i made a mistake. Thanks.

1) Smooth muscle is a principle component of which one of the following tissues:
a. the left ventricle
b. the nephron
c. biceps muscle
d. the pyloric sphincter

2) The digestion of food may best be described as the process of:
a. breaking down food into molecules small enough to be absorbed by the body.
b. converting ingested food, such as carbohydrates, into a source of energy for our daily activities.
c. converting ingested food, such as fats, into a form that can be stored for future use.
d. the absorption of food by the intestine for use by the body.

3) The digestive process in the stomach is vastly aided by the secretion by the gastric mucosa of:
a. hydrochloric acid
b. sulfuric acid
c. phosphoric acid
d. amylase
e. nitric acid

4) The gastric mucosal cells responsible for the secretion mentioned in the previous question are the:
a. chief cells
b. parietal cells
c. acinar cells
d. epithelia
e. squamous epithelial cells

5) Basal Metabolic Rate is a term that:
a. applies to the maximum rate at which we can generate energy to carry out physically demanding task.
b. refers to the widely used tool for the study of ion and water balance.
c. describes the rate we consume oxygen at rest.
d. describes the capacity of our intestinal epithelium to absorb and metabolize food.

6) Consider a nephron deep in the renal cortex. Fluid passing from the proximal tubule passes into the descending limb of the Loop of Henle. As the fluid flows along this region, the major MOVEMENT of water and ions is:
a. water into the tubule
b. water out of the tubule
c. sodium into the tubule
d. sodium out of the tubule
e. equimolar movement of water and sodium out of the tubule

7) The primary hormone regulating the metabolism of water may be considered to be:
a. insulin
b. antidiuretic hormone
c. aldosterone
d. renin
e. angiotensin

8) The epithelial cells that are the primary site of action of ADH are found in the:
a. glomerulus
b. proximal tubule
c. Loop of Henle
d. collecting duct
e. urinary bladder

9) Compare the osmolarity of the renal tubular fluid (urinary filtrate) at the bottom of the Loop of Henle, i.e., at the tip of the papilla, in a beaver and in a desert rat. Compared to the osmolarity of the urine in the rat kidney, the osmolarity of the fluid in the beaver kidney would be expected to be:
a. greater
b. about the same
c. lesser
d. dependent upon the levels of ADH in the serum of the beaver
e. dependent upon the levels of aldosterone in the serum of the beaver

10) Important functions of epithelial tissues may include all of the following except:
a. secretion of mucous
b. attachment of muscle to bony structures
c. absorption of fluids
d. synthesis and secretion of hormones

-------------------
answers:
1d 2a 3a 4b 5c 6d 7b 8d 9c 10b

Members don't see this ad.

dds_2010 said:
6) Consider a nephron deep in the renal cortex. Fluid passing from the proximal tubule passes into the descending limb of the Loop of Henle. As the fluid flows along this region, the major MOVEMENT of water and ions is:
a. water into the tubule
b. water out of the tubule
c. sodium into the tubule
d. sodium out of the tubule
e. equimolar movement of water and sodium out of the tubule

answers:
1d 2a 3a 4b 5c 6d 7b 8d 9c 10b

Your answer to #6 doesn't seem right if it is refering to the desecnding loop...

oops, since its the decending loop the answer should be b. water out of the tubule. Thanks guys!