Biology Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RozhonDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two quick Biology questions.

1) What major form of carbon dioxide is carried in the blood? is it bi carbonate ion?

2) What happens during a hemmorhage? Does the arterial blood flow increase?

Members don't see this ad.

RozhonDDS said:
I have two quick Biology questions.

1) What major form of carbon dioxide is carried in the blood? is it bi carbonate ion?

2) What happens during a hemmorhage? Does the arterial blood flow increase?

1. CO2 is carried in blood in three different ways. Most of it (about 80%–90%) is converted to bicarbonate ions HCO3− by the enzyme carbonic anhydrase in the red blood cells. 5%–10% is dissolved in the plasma and 5%–10% is bound to hemoglobin as carbamino compounds.

2. Not sure about this but i would assume that arterial blood flow would increase through the pulmonary circulation due to increased blood flow into the cerebrum. someone correct me if i am wrong please

Notoriousjae said:
1. CO2 is carried in blood in three different ways. Most of it (about 80%–90%) is converted to bicarbonate ions HCO3− by the enzyme carbonic anhydrase in the red blood cells. 5%–10% is dissolved in the plasma and 5%–10% is bound to hemoglobin as carbamino compounds.

2. Not sure about this but i would assume that arterial blood flow would increase through the pulmonary circulation due to increased blood flow into the cerebrum. someone correct me if i am wrong please
2. stroke volume decreases, in turn decreasing cardiac output causing a drop in arterial flow.