Biology Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tb1383

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the one year biology requirement must consist of a full year of "general" biology courses, or would taking other biology courses such as genetics and physiology fulfill this requirement? I have taken 2/3 of the general biology series. My adviser has told me to skip the third and just move on to the higher level courses. I realize my adviser should know what he is talking about, but is this correct? Can I fulfill the year requirement by taking 2/3 of the general biology and then other upper lever courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the one year biology requirement must consist of a full year of "general" biology courses, or would taking other biology courses such as genetics and physiology fulfill this requirement? I have taken 2/3 of the general biology series. My adviser has told me to skip the third and just move on to the higher level courses. I realize my adviser should know what he is talking about, but is this correct? Can I fulfill the year requirement by taking 2/3 of the general biology and then other upper lever courses?

This really depends on the medical school's individual requirements. Different schools have different requirements and may have some flexibility regarding what fulfills what requirement. I recommend either checking with the schools directly or flipping through the MSAR, if you are applying to allopathic medical schools. Sometimes the school's website will state their requirements for admission.

I took the full year of general biology + lab as well as an array of additional advanced biology classes (biology major).

Anyway, the only way to be sure is to ask the schools.

For example, here is what my medical school, KCUMB, requires:

Satisfactory completion, with a grade of C or higher, of the following college courses, including laboratory work:

English Composition and/or Literature 6 Semester Hrs
Chemistry 13 Semester Hrs
BioChemistry (in addition to 13 hrs. of Chemistry) 3 Semester Hrs
Physics 8 Semester Hrs
Biological Sciences 12 Semester Hrs
Genetics (in addition to 12 hrs. of biological sciences) 3 Semester Hrs

Total: 45 Semester Hrs

As another example, here is what the USC Keck School of Medicine requires:

Required Courses

General Biology + Lab 2 semesters/ 3 quarters
General Chemistry + Lab 2 semesters/ 3 quarters
Organic Chemistry + Lab 1 semester/ 2 quarters
Physics + Lab 2 semesters/ 3 quarters
Biochemistry 1 semester/ 1 quarter
Molecular Biology* 1 course
Social Sciences, Humanities, and English Composition 30 semester hours

* Molecular Biology requirement met by following courses: molecular genetics, cell and molecular biology, advanced cell biology or the equivalent