Molecular Biology vs Cell and Molecular Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tom108

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long time lurker but this is my first post. I received by Bachelors degree in 2021 and am about to take some undergrad extension courses to bump up my BCPM GPA in preparation for the upcoming cycle. My question is this: I have previously taken a course called “Molecular Biology” during my undergraduate studies and I now want to sign up for a course called “Cell and Molecular Biology” but am unsure if AMCAS will differentiate the two. The two courses significantly differ in their content (the former is about DNA and RNA expression patterns, the latter is about cellular physiology, famous experiments in the biological field, biotech implications of cell bio, etc). Do you think the title will give the AMCAS overlords enough context to see them as separate classes, or will they view it as a repeated class? If they do the latter, what are the implications for how my BCPM GPA is calculated? Thank you in advance for your replies and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

An easy answer would be that if they are taken at the same university, they will have different course numbers and thus not considered a repeat. I'm guessing you are taking the extension courses at a different institution from where you obtained your undergrad degree though.

You're giving way too much power to AMCAS. The registrar will note repeated coursework on a transcript. It will be up to the discretion of the admissions professionals from that point, but they won't override a registrar's notation of a repeat or lack thereof.

An easy answer would be that if they are taken at the same university, they will have different course numbers and thus not considered a repeat. I'm guessing you are taking the extension courses at a different institution from where you obtained your undergrad degree though.
Actually I am taking the extension courses at my alma mater, so your response helps a lot. Thanks!